Y&R: June 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep lol. And he totally could. I think the thing with JM that some may underestimate is that among male leads there are plenty of pretty faces, but not that many with a kind of 'touchable' handsomeness. Sometimes that prettiness (B&B's Ronn Moss comes to mind) is kind of too pretty, too perfect, too distant. But with Josh Morrow, an audience can almost imagine what he feels like to touch, lol. I know this sounds like I've thought WAY too much about this and JM in particular, but in my years of watching Y&R, there have been few actors who emit that kind of tangible quality which appeals to a female and gay audience. JM appeals to both, precisely because of his wolfy qualities lol. It's somewhat at odds with, say, a Daniel Goddard or Greg Rikaart, one of whom is like Teflon and the other who doesn't exude a particular sensuality (except maybe with CLB but that's another story).

• Members

The show is really struggling with Scotty. It's like they've made him Victor's right hand like Neil and Michael used to be. Except it's for all purposes. Lol. 

The desperation to make him relevant has ruined the character. He's now a joke. 

• Members

Agreed!  There was a time that I was pretty much split down the middle, but since the Newmans have been so prolific, they get on my damn nerves.

Me too.  And I'm enjoying the way they are pacing this story, not knowing what (if anything) Graham is up to, leaving the character purposefully gray - good move on the writer's part.  This is just speculation on my part, but I do think that they may have brought MA/Dina back for her EOL story, but given how popular she is I think they've had to rewrite that.  I'm not sure how open MA is to being a regular, but even if they keep her on as recurring and shooting a one show a week or every 2 weeks (after this wraps up), it would bring some much needed levity to the Abbots. 

Yea, it's gotten pretty ridiculous.  IDK why they didn't take @DramatistDreamer's advice and use him at Fenmore's helping out his momma. 

• Members

I gotta to say I think Judy Blye Wilson retired last year after 25 years she was great. She found SMG, Josh Duhamel and some good talent for YR. I have notived since she left the casting has sucked. I will givw JFP props she brought Gina, Justin Hartley, Jason Thompson and Steve Burton.  YR has a terrible new casting director.

• Members

I know many people were disappointed that Scott was not made into a Doctor like his father and honestly it would've been nice epecially since Stitch no longer appears onscreen but what I proposed was based on what Y&R had already decided which was to make him a journalist.

Yeah, having a journalist write ad copy for a boutique might be considered a step down but at least it would have been to help save his family's struggling business and it might have been more plausible than the convoluted story that Y&R created.  

Also, we could've seen Lauren and Scott bond onscreen while working together to restore Fenmore's and it might have made sense that later, Lauren is acting protective toward Scott against his romantic prospective partners instead the whole thing coming out of far-left field. 

If it were me, I would've had Auntie Cricket use all her connections to secure Scott's rescue (instead of these hair-brained pseudo-dangerously sketchy spy plans that we see Christine trying to rope her nephew into). If they insist (which they usually do with Victor), they could've used some Newman resources to help get Scott out of the Syria-like country where he was supposedly being held. Helping to find Scott's driver/guide...again,  Auntie Cricket could've done this, giving her some onscreen time with her "nephew". 

If anything, I would've had Victor request that Scott do a series of "puff pieces" on the Newmans for PR purposes but as Scott does research, he spots signs of corporate malfeasance and starts to do more digging on the side.  As the Fenmore story started to resolve or lag, seque him into this where he gets to know, bump heads and develop a bit of an attraction to Abby but I wouldn't put them together right away. Instead I'd have Scott be single and go out with other singles like Mariah, maybe even develop a friendship with Tess.

The show has made the mistake that so many other soaps have committed over the past 12-15 years-- they no longer bother to develop new characters fully!  Then they obsess over sticking them with established characters in some awkward romantic partnership. This is why the audience never gets to care about these characters. 

• Members

You really need to be on a writing team somewhere. 

Please register in order to view this content

I even like the Newman Enterprise angle.  Did you just think of that while responding in the thread?  All of that would be logical and be interesting to watch.

• Members

Thank you, Sir.

Actually I did come up with that  Newman angle as I was writing the post. It's weird but when I was in school, I was always the one who feared that I'd never be able come up with another idea ever again. There was a fellow classmate who used to come up with ideas and the drop of a hate and I would be amazed/perplexed at how he was able to do this!

Since then, I've been gotten a bit more experienced at writing for pther people, who come in with their own ideas and want scripts written for them.  I guess the brain truly is like a muscle!

At one time, when I was in Grad school, I would've loved writing for As The World Turns since I was living in NYC but ATWT was on its way to cancellation and not only were they not considering interns, they didn't give a f*ck at all!

I don't trust Y&R, I think the way soaps have been for a long time is somewhat incestuous, if they were interested in new talent they would have embraced it the way prime-time has programs to attract talent.  And now, I'm fully entrenched in theatre.

Oh well, their loss, lmao!

• Members

Never imagined Dina's presence would make me enjoy Aunt Jack and Abby!

Abby finally is starting to get some direction. I loved Abby logically calling out Jack on his real motive after knocking out his "I promised Ash a lab" (as if Abby would deny her mother lab space). 

I'm fine with VAsh and Nack becoming involved - just do it slowly - there is absolutely no urgency there. Unlike MTS, the other 3 are tougher to pair successfully. Ride it out and go deep with history and beats. 

EH better come back when they 'shockingly discover' that Adam is alive. 

Archived