Greatest Soap Cop-Out's.

• Members

Maybe he's an introvert. That's fine. He's cute enough where he can do that. 

Please register in order to view this content

I don't blame Jake or Van for Nuke's shortcomings when the writing for them was garbage from the start. I think had they had better writing that both of them would've been more enthused. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep, that was Charles Pratt, Jr.'s original plan.  We were to learn that Rick Webber, who had never, in all his years in Port Charles, been portrayed as anything remotely resembling a pedophile, had indeed molested his then-stepdaughter Laura in the attic.  Even though, during that period in the characters' and show's history, Rick was heavily involved with Lesley AND Monica.

Fortunately, someone -- Bob Guza, JFP, the actors, Brian Frons -- intervened and we ended up with Rick the manslut, who accidentally killed one of his ladyfriends and then erased Laura's memory of the incident.  Which, in a way, made even less sense than the original story (again, given what GH viewers were watching back in '77 or so).

Sadly, I'd have to agree.  Moreover, by NOT going with his original intentions for the story, Doug Marland ended up dragging out the whole affair to the point where literally no one cared who had offed Carolyn or why.

Frankly, I question why JS took the gig in the first place when, as I've said before, I don't believe he was ever comfortable portraying a closeted gay man, horrid writing or not.  Did he not KNOW that was the writers' and Chris Goutman's intent?  Did they tell him he was supposed to be Maddie's new love interest and nothing more?  Or was he just so desperate for the paycheck that he thought he could brave it (only to learn, of course, that he couldn't)?

• Members

I'd imagine it was a short contract at first and he had no idea the pairing would get such attention. I don't think the show did either. 

He wasn't much of an actor but I never had a huge problem with him in the role. I guess it didn't help that for the most part I thought Van Hansis was asexual anyway. 

I wasn't surprised that he didn't really go on to much (although Hansis had had a few roles - if Dante's Cove was still around Hansis would have been a natural). I did hear he did some play in the nude, and apparently...was impressive. 

• Members

I would have made total sense. Carolyn had all the money. Darryl had nothing. He was the younger of the two who married into money only to off her later. And Frannie again choosing the wrong man...another killer....LOL

• Members

I would have taken a HUGE risk and killed off Luke instead.  Subsequently, as ATWT concludes, you see Reid, who'd been written as being more-or-less the gay John Dixon (arrogant, but also very brilliant at his profession) beginning to forge deep, emotional, familial-like bonds with Holden, Lily and Lucinda.

• Members

I mean even VH saw it. His acting pretty much deteriorated with his scenes with Noah. His acting only sparked up with the vets or with Kevin and Reid at the end. He even mentioned how ES brought new life into the show.....LOL

I thought Reid was what Luke needed pairing wise. He kept him on his toes and didn't put up with his bullsh!t. Although at the end Reid became less abrasive towards Luke.

• Members

This one might not count since it was a primetime soap, but...

DYNASTY's Moldavian Massacre.  The show had always had a (bad) reputation for not paying off their cliffhangers, but how do you mow down your entire cast with bullets, only to have two minor characters actually die?

Again, if I had been in charge, I would have taken some risks there.  For starters, I would have killed off Blake.  (Not instantly, of course.  Like Sid Fairgate on KNOTS LANDING, you THINK Blake will recover from his wounds.  Then, very suddenly, his condition takes a turn....)  When his death makes the news, the amnesiac Fallon (now played by Emma Samms) recognizes his picture, which prompts her to return to Denver and reunite with the family before she and Jeff are ushered away to THE COLBYS (where Jeff will learn, of course, she's now involved with Miles).

Subsequently, with Blake's death creating instability within both Denver Carrington and the Carrington family, I would have re-centered DYNASTY around Krystle's valiant fight to keep her late husband's legacy from crumbling, as the rest of the Carringtons scramble for power.  Alexis could have attempted another hostile takeover.  The remaining Carrington kids - Adam, Amanda and Steven - could have chosen sides.  Blake's "ghost" could have visited Krystle periodically as she finds herself at a loss over what to do with his family.  (Well, not REALLY his ghost, but you get what I mean.)  There could even have been a potential Dex/Krystle/Alexis triangle.  Just as Alexis succeeds in taking away Blake's company and merging it with ColbyCo., however, tragedy and scandal ensue, as Amanda murders Prince Michael (who, by now, has slowly devolved into an abusive husband since being exiled from his country...and who is also cheating on Amanda with Claudia) and Alexis catches Dex and Krystle in a passionate kiss.

• Members

Speaking of the Y&R story about Katherine and Joann Curtis. Around that same time they did the storyline where Lorie Brooks fell in love with Dr. Mark Henderson. She later discovered he was her half brother because Jennifer Brooks had an affair with his father. Lorie was so in love with Mark that she did not care and told him that she still wanted to be with him. Bill Bell and Jaime Lyn Bauer got hate mail for that. I wonder if Bell was going to pursue that and backed off because of viewer outcry ?

• Members

But remember: Fallon was brought back (with Emma Samms) in order to be part of THE COLBYS.  She wouldn't have returned to DYNASTY full-time, and DYNASTY needed a "Carrington daughter" in the cast.  So, although I could see wanting to get rid of Amanda, I know I'd have to use her, no matter what.  Hence, making Prince Michael the abusive, lecherous husband whom she eventually offs, leading to the trial that (juices ratings and) introduces her defense attorney and eventual new love interest (who could be there to help usher her out of Denver, should the need arise).

It was also a rip-off of a story he himself wrote for MELROSE PLACE's Alison (Courtney Thorne-Smith).  On MP, though, Alison was molested by her dad in the basement (I think?).

Bill Bell would have been out of his mind (not to mention, drummed out of the business) if he thought even Y&R's most liberal-minded viewers would go along with Mark and Lorie continuing their incestuous relationship.  That's why I have to think he never intended to go there with those two characters.

Archived