Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But isn't this really a catch-22 for any AA character? If they only pair AA with AA, they are isolated and not integrated into the show's entire fabric. If they are paired with non-AA characters, then somehow it's a slight on AA-AA pairing. Lily has been prematurely aged into a matron until recently. I've never seen the magic with Lame, but it was there with Daniel and I'm liking the vibe with Jordan. I just want to see couples where the chemistry is there regardless of skin color. I'm still feeling more Hack > Hordan but I'm just glad that MM and CK are getting better dialogue, career vision, etc. 

• Members

The pacing is so off

This Chloe story really does seem like its going to be a 3 week wrap up. A lot of these scenes should have been happening months ago then they could flash back to it as the pieces come together for Chelsea and Nick. Them figuring everything out so fast after all this time is just ridiculous.

Now didn't Abby and Victoria have these exact same scenes a few weeks back? Same with Ashley and Jack, I'm interested in these feuds but things are getting repetitive there.

I still want them to beef up the Newman enterprises canvas. Give us a real reason for Abby to be so paranoid.

I don't care about Nikki and Reed having a jam session with boring new white girl with a guitar and bad bangs. I forgot what else happened in the episode but I know it was boring.

• Members

Not at all. 

The issue isn't that characters of color are involved with other characters of color. It's that they're ONLY involved with each other AND marginalized with reduced screentime.

For example, if Nathan & Olivia or Neil & Dru or Malcolm & Alex had the same amount of screentime & importance to the main stories as, say, Victor & Nikki or Jack & Diane or Brad & Ashley this kind of thing wouldn't be an issue.

But actors of color have historically always been expected to do infinitely more with infinitely less. In other words if you're working with half the airtime, playing characters who only interact and/or date within your own soap family, in stories that have little to no effect on the larger canvas? It's a problem.

That's how you get a situation where a character like Devon (who has been on the canvas close to a decade & a half) is JUST NOW getting his first serious relationship/marriage while all his white contemporaries (even serial child molesters) constantly sleep around and/or are in relationships.

Similarly if Lily had a GENUINE relationship with a non-white character of color fans wouldn't have a problem. But every time fans get vocal about her being the ONLY "minority" actor NEVER to be pigeonholed like EVERY other actor of color on EVERY other soap in daytime television Y&R throws a token actor of color at CK for a extremely brief "flirtation" to silence critics.

Colorblindness is a nice idea in THEORY but it doesn't exist in PRACTICE which makes ALL the difference.

• Members

@DeeeDee I don't disagree with your assessment at all. I'd love to know how many times Lily has been invited to the Mansion with her children v Cane's drop-by visits. And for as many AA characters who have been on Y&R (and who are fan faves), it is amazing (pathetic) the storyline creativity has so limited. Sally clearly put the kabosh on Neil/Nikki, despite MTS openly discussing it. I truly hope this regime comes through. It's a joke that character like The Chipmunk and Worm get to be heroes and in completely illogical romances while others are perpetually sidelined. Seriously, Neil should be working with Newman or Jabot. If CI were still around (and I'm guessing we won't hear about it now that B&S is independent), Neil, Devon and Jill would've made a killer business team. 

• Members

CI's still around like it's always been... offscreen. We rarely saw Kay running it and I expect the same with Jill. I'm thinking we'll see her in business stories only when it's in conjunction with one of the onscreen companies.

Devon & Neil are starting up Hamilton-Winters Inc(?). I'll bet that will be on screen since it's a start-up, and a probably a vehicle to repair the father & son relationship.

• Members

It's beyond disrespectful to Jess (a two time emmy winner) that Jill is relegated to throwaway plots & a man who doesn't respect her while Victor & Jack remain integral to the show with an endless string of romances. All the years Y&R should've been prepping the character to take Katherine's place were wasted and now there's a huge hole on the screen.

Jill has a TON of history with EVERY character involved in current business stories yet the best thing Y&R can write for her is a heart attack? This Jack & Gloria story would make SO much more sense with Jill (since it can't be Diane) in Gloria's place. Especially if it led to Jack & Jill settling down as a couple as Y&R seems to be doing with Victor & Nikki.

And it's doubly bad because there's enough Chancellors on the current canvas (Devon, Neil, Jill) to reasonably have CI play a larger part in business stories  yet Y&R's insistence on keeping the Newmans centralized (with the Abbotts getting any leftover story scraps) means everyone else is relegated to the backburner. 

• Members

Lily ain't involved with him. He's exactly where I predicted he'd be (then eventually disappear), which is paired up with Hilary coming between her and Devon. And sadly, not even MiM can make him work as this sexy macho stud the show wants to sell. 

• Members

Speaking of race on this show Nick and Chelsea are white medicority in human form. Boring, dull, uninspired yet somehow always with a story.

I liked Victoria for the very first time today when she told Abby that her attitude wasn't a good look on her. Amelia Heinle played that perfectly.

Why would Chloe keep evidence of her killing Adam? Under her bed? Why? Why?

• Members

No one is involved with the entire canvas. And Neil and Dru being married never isolated them from the goings on around town. I'm not sure why you are stuck on two black characters being paired together romantically is such a limiting or undesirable thing. 

Sally didn't put the stop to Neil and Nikki. That was done a year before she came aboard. I'm currently at a loss why Neil and Ashley aren't an item. It has made sense for some time now. Especially since winters interact so heavily with Abbots now. But it's being ignored for this unimpressive odd ashley/Ravi story 

Nick and Chelsea are going to need a villain to help them out. They need someone to drive story for them. That won't change the lack of chemistry but it's make them more interesting. 

• Members

Not yet.

But once his chem test with Hilary fails and Y&R pushes Hilary into a triangle with Devon and Mariah, the show will have use Jordan (and Juliet) as fodder for Lily and Cane relationship drama.

The Newmans & The Abbotts are.

They initiate or are involved with everything that happens on the current canvas (especially the Newmans).

Yes it did.

The only reason they were somewhat relevant to the rest of the canvas after they got married was because Neil worked at Newman. Outside of that they were only able to date/marry within their own family until they literally ran out of options.

What made it bizarre was that Abby had no reason to be paranoid.

It's not as if Victoria has shown the slightest interest in working at Newman again (let alone usurping Abby's position) yet MO was tweaking and barking at AH like she was on a crystal meth binge.

I could buy this story if there were actual stakes involved in Abby taking over for Victor or if Newman Enterprises currently had any kind of direction but it's just random scenes of Abby spouting monologues about how happy she is that Victor trusts her with the family business.

Archived