Y&R: March 2017 Discussion Thread

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyone (male OR female) who dates someone like Kevin Fisher is "dating down."

Also...?  I think the idea of Kay and Jill needing closure where Philip's death is concerned is so not what Y&R is about.  Because you know that if Bill Bell were still alive and writing, he'd have Kay insisting all the way to her grave that she didn't kill Phillip on purpose and that he would have stayed WITH her had Jill not seduced him.

But, then again, I don't think Bell would have ever had those two women become as close as they were when Kay/JC died either.

• Members

I agree with you. Bill Bell had Katherine making amends through Phillip’s offspring. She set up a huge trust fund for Phillip 3 and was grooming him run Chancellor Industries. And as soon as he was killed off Bell made sure he had an heir, another boy with the name Phillip Chancellor to replace him. The trust fund was transferred to Chance, with Nina as executor, but Bell wasn’t around for adult Chance. Of course, MAB strayed from the winning formula and made him a policeman.

I also think Bell would've had Jill attempt to take Chancellor Industries at some point, just like she did the house. Maybe Jill would have been successful at getting a portion, or maybe not. Maybe she would get control for a while then lose it. Or maybe blackmail her way to the CEO position??? But in the end, I think Kay would have left whatever share she had in it to Chance.

There was never any need for Jill and Katherine to love each other and have Kay making amends to her. But since they did, and had them spend so many years doing it, something had to happen at the end. If Kay would have left Chancellor Industries to Phillip & Chance ( with Jill running it) no letter, ring, or further explanation would've been necessary because that says it all. But the prior writers really screwed up that will. Sally's choices were limited. How do you undo leaving Chancellor to Victor? And since Jill already bought it why bother?

Kay would have never left Chancellor to Victor. Victor's old, it's like giving it to his heirs instead of hers. The writers didn't think that through, and didn't realize their mistake until Adam, Victor and everyone else had to start calling Newman, Newman-Chancellor. It was a mouthful. lol As the weeks went by, they said it less and less, finally just dropping Chancellor. Victor loved Kay but I don't think he wanted to share top billing with her.

• Members

I suppose you're right, she apologizes twice for killing him without using the word kill.

“Jill, Phillip wanted a life with you. He intended to marry you. The fact that he didn't was no one's fault but mine. I was determined to do everything to hang on to my husband and deprive you of the man you loved and the father of your son.”

"Please, Jill. Forgive me for keeping this all these years and for taking Phillip from you."

But I wouldn't read that as killing him on purpose, unless I already knew she did. I'm just happy Kay gave her that ring. I wanted Kay to give Jill, or her sons, something from Phillip that she/they would have had, if Phillip would have lived. I never heard of that ring before, but that fit the bill since she already bought Chancellor. So Kudos to the writers on that.

• Members

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: making Kay and Jill mother and daughter was just about the dumbest, most pointless move in the history of daytime drama.  It made no sense, served no purpose, and torpedoed one of this genre's greatest rivalries.

• Members

So the device has been around (and working) for six months in that Dino, but it took Nick to find it? Good thing that Connor who can't be separated from it, didn't pull it out or Chelsea noticing it. Terrible.

Good thing Nikki ditched Reed to hang out in Crimson Lights and happens on the first singer to ever hang out on the patio

Neil ridiculous overreaction to Devon saying he kissed Mariah, moments after Devon said he was dating her. So Neil is shocked that two people dating are kissing and that's what causes him to warn Devon about moving on? Weird. 

• Members

Chancellor Industries as an entity never played into the story apart from that brief time in 1980 when Derek went to work there so I cant see Bill Bell ever using it as a story point. Jill was much more interested/attached to Jabot.

I took it that when Kay drove off the cliff it was to kill herself and Phillip,so although the result could have been seen as murder, that was not her intent.

• Members

It was supposed to be murder suicide. Her intent was to kill them both. Just because she wasn't successful at killing herself doesn't make her any less a murderer. Philip wanted to live, he was demanding to get out of the car.

Yes, Chancellor was mostly an offscreen company under Bill Bell. But I could have seen him changing that to add another chapter to the Jill & Kay rivalry, it would've fit his formula to a tee. In the early years Jill didn't have the know how to take, or run that company. But since then Jill learned everything she needed to know from her years at Jabot. I think it would have been a natural progression for her to want the business. Remember once Jill was stronger, and could afford lawyers, she came back for the house, so why not once she was business savvy she comes back for Chancellor? They could of gotten a good ten years of story out of it, with Nina changing sides depending on what she thought was best for Chance's future. And more story again once Chance was SORASED.

• Members

Is it me or has there been an ever-so-slight tonal shift in the show this week? By that, I mean the Chloe/Adam thread has re-emerged this week, Jack finally verbally admits he is out to get Billy (though it was fairly obvious for a long time now) and that's now a specific element of the Jabot/Brash and Sassy story. 

The Devon/Mariah strand kicked in this week also as well as Neil and Devon deciding to start a business together. How much the latter satisfies the long-held wish for Neil to drive his own business and how much screen time this new endeavour gets remains to be seen.

It would (coincidentally or deliberately) seem that Tracey Thompson's on-screen departure as Associate Head Writer has caused a shift and dare I say, stories are starting to kick in. I guess the reset period is over. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't the Head Writer, so the buck didn't stop with her but I remember a tonal shift occuring in 2008 when Hogan Sheffer joined Y&R after Josh Griffith had his solo time. Suddenly, the David Chow/Walter Palin/Sabrina story became dark and someone (I don't recall) was murderered and dismembered. Then the car crash that killed Sabrina and David occurred. It was very noticeable.

The previews for next week do hint at the stories going forward... of course, that doesn't necessarily mean they will be great. Remains to be seen.

Archived