Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah, I agree - I don't think it was ever on the cards. I could've seen Lorimar/CBS talking about crossing over Dallas / Falcon Crest because of the timeslot and logistics would work out for both parties.

The closest I can think of is that scrapped X-Files / Picket Fences cross-over where you can see remenants of it in the scripts, but was nixed at the last minute by CBS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Museum

I also think you can't compare the UK/Europe market to the US market when it comes to cross-overs. Smaller scales to work with plus not the same type of competition mentality where you can't benefit the other party in any way.

Edited by te.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Picket Fences and The X Files were from the same studio, 20th Century Fox. Later, Picket Fences producer David Kelley did multi-network crossovers for his two (20th Century Fox) series, The Practice (ABC) and Ally McBeal (Fox).

I can’t recall a crossover that happened with both different networks and different studios.

Oh wait a minute - I can: Candice Bergen played Murphy Brown (CBS/Warner Brothers) in a Seinfeld (NBC/Castle Rock) episode. Kramer went out to LA and got a bit role in a Murphy Brown episode as her latest secretary. In this case, Murphy Brown was a fictional show in the Seinfeld universe. So it’s not the same as a true intermingling of Seinfeld and Murphy Brown storylines. But they did show Kramer on the Murphy Brown set with Bergen, on NBC. 

• Members

Looking back it is remarkable Dallas got Ian McShane, now a major player in so much prestige TV but back then a mainstay of all sorts of silliness. I gather the story with Sue Ellen was unpopular but if you wanted a guy to compete with J.R., that's one (not that the show was designed to allow him or anyone else to do that).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Sue Ellen is nuts. “Oh, JR has changed!” How many times did we hear that?

I think if they had gone a different direction after Patrick Duffy left - if they had done a redemption arc for JR - that could have been interesting, and Larry Hagman was the actor who could have pulled that off. But getting Sue Ellen back should have taken years. He had a lot of trust to repair.

• Members

That is part of the reason I loved season 8. JR realizes that Sue Ellen is the only woman that can handle his [!@#$%^&*]. He also remembers why he was so in love with her to begin with. It could have changed the direction of the show- JR could have still been as sinister and conniving as ever, but his family, Sue Ellen and his son, should have been who he protected against it all. 

• Members

In the Knots Landing thread there was a discussion about how the premise was limited by having 4 married couples as the main characters.

That got me wondering whether it might have been better for Bobby Ewing to return to Southfork in episode 1 single and then encounter Pam, who was casually dating Ray.

The tentative romance could be spoiled by Jr's dislike of Pam, reservations from Miss Ellie, Ray's hurt feelings, Cliff's anger etc

And Bobby's old girlfriend Jenna would be ready to sink her claws into him, with Jr's encouragement.

Both Pam and Bobby getting pressure from others would decide not to pursue the relationship.

All those misunderstandings and interference would keep the two apart. The first 5 eps would end with a will they/won't they get together?

Then the first full season would carry that through culminating at some point (the season finale?) in a big Bobby/Pam wedding(That may not go ahead)

What do you think?

• Members

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the premise of Bobby returning home with his father's nemesis's daughter as his new bride.  I just think they should've followed through with their original plan to kill him off and make Pam, as his widow, the chief protagonist against J.R.