Dallas: Discussion Thread

• Members

That's an interesting point that I hadn't appreciated before you mentioned it. 

Seeing the Ewing Oil offices raised a question - Do we ever see Jock going into the office of Ewing Oil?  I wonder if JR took over Jock's office?  Or, if they kept one for him down the hall?  I was also thinking about what Sly (or whomever was the receptionist at the time)'s relationship was like with Jock.  I just have no memory of Jock on that set.

Edited by j swift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Dallas went off the rails in the aftermath of Pamela disappearance and was effectively over with Sue Ellen departure. 1987/88 to me feels like the natural end point of the show. The final three seasons were not needed and I feel they only happened because CBS was such a mess in primetime back then.

• Members

Several times. I can't post the clips, but off the top of my head, there was when Pam had it out with J.R. and Jock over the reveal that Cliff's old girlfriend died from a botched abortion, Miss Ellie signing the papers to agree to allow drilling on Southfork, Sue Ellen signing the papers to initiate the countersuit against Cliff when he sued while still believing he was John Ross' father, in the aftermath of the news about the Asian oil wells being worthless to their new owners (when Jordan Lee lets them know Seth Stone killed himself) and one of several moments when Leslie Stewart realizes that J.R.'s really small short-sighted in terms of being a p.r. client.

I'm goin to assume that J.R.'s office was the one belonging to Jock when he was president. Jock did resume some responsibilities in 1979-80, after the J.R. mortaged Southfork and they nearly lost the joint fiasco, but it was temporary until the more or less permanent solution of J.R. vs. Bobby at work.

The only Ewing Oil secretary we ever saw Jock have a relationship with was Julie Grey (Tina Louise). "Julie's Return" involves Jock and Julie's non-physical affair. Sly (Deborah Rennard) joined the cast after Jim Davis' death.

• Members

I've always heard several scenarios / pictures were leaked to the press by Lorimar as to not spoil the "dream" resolution (it also looks like Patrick in the profile picture, though the face has obviously been photoshopped); one of those scenarios was that Bobby was going to be a lookalike imposter, which I assume these pictures were meant to convey. 

My understanding is though that these scenes were never shot and were just photoshoots (because why waste time to rehearse and shoot a scene they knew weren't ever going to be used).

There's been talk of other pictures / photoshoots being leaked to the press, but I assume those might be a case of chinese whispers. Considering how big Dallas still was at the time and what a furore Bobby's return created in the press, I don't think those wouldn't have been found by now.

• Members

I wish they had consulted with David Jacobs. They actually offered him a consultant position (which likely would have been in name only) in return for giving up his rights to be credited as the series’ creator on the revival. He refused. Good for him.

I actually wish they had gotten Jacobs to assume the showrunner position after the dream season, rather than luring back Leonard Katzman. Katzman had guided the show to great heights, but he was out of gas.