Y&R: December 2016 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Rawlins story dragged on way too long but at least it was semi-worth it in the sense that it gave the audience a campy villain (Mark Derwin), interesting side characters (George, Brittany, Salena) a redeemed vixen (Cassandra), a sexy supercouple (Paul/Cassandra), a potential love triangle (Paul/Cassandra/Brad) and a memorable rescue (Victor saving Cassandra's life).

The Ashley/Blade/Mari Jo/Rick story was just terrible. Poor Brenda Epperson looked miserable, Michael Tylo alternated between sweaty & greasy, Jill/Jack/Brad were made to look like fools and I won't even discuss the offensiveness of the treatment of Elizabeth Sung & Philip Moon.

• Members

I can't believe I didn't remember that Andy and Diane were married!

Please register in order to view this content

Thanks for that brief review of that storyline @DeeeDee and @FrenchFan.  I guess, this is what happens when someone starts watching at too early an age to really take it all in.

Faren looked a bit like my first grade teacher, maybe that's why I liked her, clearly a child's perspective but she didn't seem that bad. Cassandra was stunning and although I didn't see her with either Paul or the old dude she was married to, I was disappointed to see the character/actress leave.

Man, why is 80s Y&R so fuzzy in my memory? I guess most of these episodes I only saw once and never really had anyone to discuss episodes with until I arrived on this board. Even as a former member of the old SoapCity board, I don't remember this much discussion of the show's history. Makes me feel like I've forgotten a good chunk of Y&R's history-- kind of a weird feeling for me.

• Members

Faren was annoying because she was boring. The character was intended to be one of those mysterious female stock soap types who sweeps into town & enchants everyone she meets but the actress had no charisma. Plus her arrival was basically signaled the end of both Andy & Diane's initial stints on the show which left Paul & Lauren adrift.

Cassandra was interesting because NA possessed the BIG soap actress look (usually found on 80s era NBC soaps) but she was perfect foil for Paul who was in his Don Johnson Miami Vice period by that point. The contrast was especially sharp given her main competition (Traci) was more confident but still insecure.

• Members

It really is a shame Nina Arvesen left, as I feel like Cassandra could have totally driven story for years to come...

I think Doug Davidson suffered a lot because of that, even though Paul was still heavy with the Lauren/Sheila stuff, it seemed like there was a chance he was gonna leave at some point...

I don't mind Mari Jo, and Diana Barton was another exotic beauty, but I don't particular care for the Mari Jo/Blade and Rick story, other then for curiosity reasons....though the one episode in my collection from 1994, where Ashley confronts Blade and Mari Jo about their past, was a highlight IMO...

• Members

Diana Barton I didn't mind (and it was nice to see Jill briefly have a "friend") but she wasn't a strong enough actress to transcend the terrible writing (unlike say Sandra Nelson). Had she been in just about any other Y&R story from that era I could've grown to like her.

• Members

I wonder if most of these stories were executed poorly is because, Bill admitted years later he stopped doing long term stories and just made them up as he went along....I mean I feel like that sort of explains why  the earlier years, might of held up a lot  better then some of his later stuff (even my favorite era the early 90's) because I remember reading in interview where Bill said, he stopped writing a long term story for the show after the first 12-13 years or so....

• Members

The Blade/Rick story had potential but Michael Tylo was dull and the execution was clunky. The likes of Henry Slesar could have woven a fascinating suspense story load with twists and turns but Y&R's suspense stories were pretty basic eg Josh/Veronica.

Why they kept letting Ashley marry and then killing off the dull husbands was the real mystery?

Rick and Cole, for example, could have been serious involvements without Ashley marrying them. After Victor and Steven it would have been quite feasible that she might be a little gun shy about getting hitched again.

Archived