GL/ATWT cast reunions

ChitHappens

• Members

Veering off a little bit but..I never understood why FOX didn't pick up any of the canceled shows. They would have gotten more viewers to their daytime lineup!

B/c Procter & Gamble wanted out the soap business forever. While I blame CBS/Les Moonves partially, P&G holds the bulk of the blame. They fed us all a false sense of security when fans tried getting FOX, Lifetime, etc. to get the shows but that was never their intentions. They never wanted to go on with the shows. 

Moons declared after ATWT was cancelled that they tried to get P&G to sell the shows to them, but they refused. I've heard rumors for years that NBC tried the same with AW too but to no avail. P&G simply wanted these shows to die off. They don't care for them. We saw that a few years ago to with the DVDs. Those DVDs were flying off the rack like nothing. Soap fans were eating them up, but P&G nixed it before it even got good. They'd rather their shows sit in an archive and collect dust before reviving them or selling them to someone else, who could take the shows where they never could. 

THIS. Very well summarized. The primary fault of the demise of ATWT and TGL falls directly at the feet of P&G. I'm still livid that they pulled the DVD license from Soap Classics, just as they were releasing some really wonderful stuff (the "Bauer Family" DVD, "Jennifer Richards Trial", etc.).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Veering off a little bit but..I never understood why FOX didn't pick up any of the canceled shows. They would have gotten more viewers to their daytime lineup!

B/c Procter & Gamble wanted out the soap business forever. While I blame CBS/Les Moonves partially, P&G holds the bulk of the blame. They fed us all a false sense of security when fans tried getting FOX, Lifetime, etc. to get the shows but that was never their intentions. They never wanted to go on with the shows. 

Moons declared after ATWT was cancelled that they tried to get P&G to sell the shows to them, but they refused. I've heard rumors for years that NBC tried the same with AW too but to no avail. P&G simply wanted these shows to die off. They don't care for them. We saw that a few years ago to with the DVDs. Those DVDs were flying off the rack like nothing. Soap fans were eating them up, but P&G nixed it before it even got good. They'd rather their shows sit in an archive and collect dust before reviving them or selling them to someone else, who could take the shows where they never could. 

THIS. Very well summarized. The primary fault of the demise of ATWT and TGL falls directly at the feet of P&G. I'm still livid that they pulled the DVD license from Soap Classics, just as they were releasing some really wonderful stuff (the "Bauer Family" DVD, "Jennifer Richards Trial", etc.).

James Stenbeck and Reva one are good as well. I am glad I didn't wait and got all of the dvds that were released. It is great to pop in a classic ATWT or GL dvd when I want to. I wish we would have gotten a Craig M. one, a Lucinda one, a Barbara Ryan and so on. I would have gotten those as well. I also have the Bold & The Beautiful ones that were released as well.

• Members

I'm still pissed that I didn't get the Jennifer's Trial DVD and the only accessible one has some dummy trying to sell it on Amazon for $400 dollars. Thank God someone uploaded the episodes on YT so I can watch them that way. 

I wish they would've released a set of AW, EON, TX, and SFT DVDs before P&G's lame ass pulled the licensing away.

• Members

I'm still pissed that I didn't get the Jennifer's Trial DVD and the only accessible one has some dummy trying to sell it on Amazon for $400 dollars. Thank God someone uploaded the episodes on YT so I can watch them that way. 

I wish they would've released a set of AW, EON, TX, and SFT DVDs before P&G's lame ass pulled the licensing away.

I think the cheapest ATWT or GL DVD is now going for $100. I remember there were rumors that AW and SFT were going to be next to be released on DVD but then the releases stopped.

• Members

I think the cheapest ATWT or GL DVD is now going for $100. I remember there were rumors that AW and SFT were going to be next to be released on DVD but then the releases stopped.

Well I got the rest of the collection except for Jennifer's Trial. That's the only DVD I am missing.

P&G is so stupid from stopping their sale of these shows. Soaps fans will pay serious money for DVDs like that. Even streaming sites. Just so stupid....

• Members

I'll trade you Jennifer Richards for Reva or The Bauers. Hubby managed to snag the J.R. trial on DVD for me for Christmas before the site went down, but no such luck with Reva or The Bauers :) 

• Members

I'll trade you Jennifer Richards for Reva or The Bauers. Hubby managed to snag the J.R. trial on DVD for me for Christmas before the site went down, but no such luck with Reva or The Bauers :) 

*gasps*

Not uh! I want them all. I don't want to be missing one from my collection. :P 

There's a Bauer DVD being offered for $25 dollars on Amazon right now. Someone is offering a Reva one for almost $300, which is ridiculous.  

As much as I'll hate to, I might just piece the episodes from Jennifer's trial from YT and burn them to a disc. 

• Members

Gotta have Reva yelling "I'm Coming BUD!!":)

There's a Bauer DVD being offered for $25 dollars on Amazon right now

That's a great buy!

• Members

I really think you all over estimate the desire for soaps on DVD.  I mean companies don't usually run away from money so in all likelihood these collections weren't selling that well, thus losing P&G money.

Just my theory.

• Members

I really think you all over estimate the desire for soaps on DVD.  I mean companies don't usually run away from money so in all likelihood these collections weren't selling that well, thus losing P&G money.

Just my theory.

I don't think they were big sellers, but the We Love Soaps people (who seemed pretty honest) suggested they were doing alright. 

• Members

I'm not sure why P & G doesn't release past episodes on Hulu or Nextflix, like they started doing on AOL video for awhile.

Also, P & G could sell their shows in a block to MeTV, Antenna TV, or Retro TV- I guarantee they would garner an audience on one of these channels- 12:30 SFT, 1:00 ATWT, 2:00 AW, 3:00 GL, 4:00 EON and air Texas as well.

I just cannot figure out why they refuse to release these programs in some form or another.

• Members

Just my theory.

I think the issue was more along the lines of music rights. The most popular eras (at least the one the ATWT hadn't 'wiped' away) was during the 80s and it was an era that used a lot of popular music. Speaking of WLS, I remember chatting with Roger Newcomb and at the time he was consulting with the SoapsClassics folks and mentioned, not only the laborious task of transferring the Master reels but also the issue of music rights.

I don't think it was all about the DVDs because SoapClassics was also streaming episodes through their site and could've easily done downloads or a streaming distribution system ( a la Netflix or Amazon) since they had the technical infrastructure in place. 

I truly do think that the music rights issue was a big obstacle and simply over-dubbing the specific music cues with generic music (which is what they were doing) made for a clumsy mix.

Archived