GL/ATWT cast reunions

• Members

THIS. Very well summarized. The primary fault of the demise of ATWT and TGL falls directly at the feet of P&G. I'm still livid that they pulled the DVD license from Soap Classics, just as they were releasing some really wonderful stuff (the "Bauer Family" DVD, "Jennifer Richards Trial", etc.).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

James Stenbeck and Reva one are good as well. I am glad I didn't wait and got all of the dvds that were released. It is great to pop in a classic ATWT or GL dvd when I want to. I wish we would have gotten a Craig M. one, a Lucinda one, a Barbara Ryan and so on. I would have gotten those as well. I also have the Bold & The Beautiful ones that were released as well.

• Members

I'm still pissed that I didn't get the Jennifer's Trial DVD and the only accessible one has some dummy trying to sell it on Amazon for $400 dollars. Thank God someone uploaded the episodes on YT so I can watch them that way. 

I wish they would've released a set of AW, EON, TX, and SFT DVDs before P&G's lame ass pulled the licensing away.

• Members

*gasps*

Not uh! I want them all. I don't want to be missing one from my collection. :P 

There's a Bauer DVD being offered for $25 dollars on Amazon right now. Someone is offering a Reva one for almost $300, which is ridiculous.  

As much as I'll hate to, I might just piece the episodes from Jennifer's trial from YT and burn them to a disc. 

• Members

I really think you all over estimate the desire for soaps on DVD.  I mean companies don't usually run away from money so in all likelihood these collections weren't selling that well, thus losing P&G money.

Just my theory.

• Members

I'm not sure why P & G doesn't release past episodes on Hulu or Nextflix, like they started doing on AOL video for awhile.

Also, P & G could sell their shows in a block to MeTV, Antenna TV, or Retro TV- I guarantee they would garner an audience on one of these channels- 12:30 SFT, 1:00 ATWT, 2:00 AW, 3:00 GL, 4:00 EON and air Texas as well.

I just cannot figure out why they refuse to release these programs in some form or another.

• Members

I think the issue was more along the lines of music rights. The most popular eras (at least the one the ATWT hadn't 'wiped' away) was during the 80s and it was an era that used a lot of popular music. Speaking of WLS, I remember chatting with Roger Newcomb and at the time he was consulting with the SoapsClassics folks and mentioned, not only the laborious task of transferring the Master reels but also the issue of music rights.

I don't think it was all about the DVDs because SoapClassics was also streaming episodes through their site and could've easily done downloads or a streaming distribution system ( a la Netflix or Amazon) since they had the technical infrastructure in place. 

I truly do think that the music rights issue was a big obstacle and simply over-dubbing the specific music cues with generic music (which is what they were doing) made for a clumsy mix.

Archived