Cruel Intentions: Discussion Thread

cassadine1991

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I couldnt disagree with you more here, Sebastian's death was one of the reasons that movie had so much impact and also sets up a really good dynamic for how things are when this new series kicks off...Kathryn resents Annette for Sebastian's death and how she exposed all of Kathryn's secrets from the journal as a result, while Annette obviously hates Kathryn due to how she will never truly know if Sebastian loved her or if it was all part of his sick bet with Kathryn. And then please I hope more than anything Selma Blair reprises her role as Cecile (and Christine Baranski as her mother) that would be killer. I get that Reese Witherspoon will 99.9% likely turn down reprising her role especially as a series regular but with a worthy recast this role could be very relevant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I rarely watched Gossip Girl back in the day, so please tell me if I'm wrong on this, but I always felt that show satisfied any need for a TV version of CI. That said, since this is more sequel than remake, it could definitely play into a different, more adult, dynamic, so that's good.

I have to disagree with everyone saying it being on NBC would ruin it. As much as the movie was about sex and using sex to manipulate, I always thought it was pretty unsexy, especially compared to what we would get today. At least 90% of the film was style over substance, so we saw Kathryn and Sebastian talking suggestively about sex way more than anyone actually having sex. Let's not act like CI on NBC will be akin to Skins on MTV.

The central conflict needs to be Kathryn and Annette, with Kathryn gunning for Annette by way of the son. They can build whatever they want around that, but at the core, it has to be the two ladies blaming each other for Sebastian's death. And NO, Sebastian does not come back to life under any circumstances. THAT would ruin the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I would not compare Gossip Girl to Cruel Intentions, directly there are some influences, perhaps mostly with the classism and the titular importance of ones reputation, in this Blair and Chuck would be the most similar characters to Sebastian and Kathryn, but in general, I would sooner compare it to the likes of One Tree Hill, 90210. The O.C. or even Gilmore Girls more then to Cruel Intentions. The Humphrey's specifically sit in pretty well with the 90210 and One Tree Hill setting of commoners, among social elitists.

At best they had similar settings, both being set up in New York, as well as class structure of the upper most wealthy, but I find them to be rather different for the most part. Serena, Dan, and Nate for instance don't really have similar character counterparts in the Cruel Intentions realm.

Reese Witherspoon's Annette was the worst thing about Cruel Intentions, so it seems so odd to me that everyone wants her to be a pivotal part of the story. Sebastian and Kathryn, were the entire appeal of the film to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Regardless of personal opinion, Annette was a major catalyst in the story, and Sebastian is dead. Bringing him back to life would just be starting the series off on a bad foot, IMO, because it tampers with a very significant development of the narrative. If they can't go on without him, then maybe it's best they don't bring it back for TV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I still say Ryan Phillippe was what this needed to make this a stronger sell. He came off a strong performance for Secrets and Lies and now he has another Cable series that's starting up. This would have been what NBC needed to give this project a shot in the arm.

Archived