Cruel Intentions: Discussion Thread

cassadine1991

• Members

They are going through with the sequel series.

Description:

Cruel Intentions picks up over 15 years after the hit movie left off. It follows the beautiful and cunning Kathryn Merteuil as she vies for control of Valmont International as well as the soul of Bash Casey, the son of her brother, who was the late Sebastian Valmont, and Annette Hargrove. Upon discovering his late father’s legacy in a hidden journal, Bash is introduced to a world of sex, money, power and corruption he never could have imagined.

Producers are also apparently talking to Sarah Michelle Gellar to reprise her role as Kathryn

http://deadline.com/2016/02/cruel-intentions-sarah-michelle-gellar-reprising-role-kathryn-merteuil-nbc-series-1201697472/

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm all for this, especially if they can get Sarah Michelle on board. NBC needs a good strong soap badly, but I echo the sentiments that I'm not confident they are the right network to pull it off. I like the idea of using some continuity with the movie and having Sarah Michelle on. If it's a hit, I'm sure they could get Reese for an episode or two.

On another note, I will say, it's crazy that of all her projects this is getting a sequel series and not Buffy. I'm beyond shocked a Buffy sequel series hasn't been made with Sarah Michelle or even a straight reboot, but in the age of sequel series, you can't convince me a new Buffy on Netflix OR Network TV wouldn't be a huge hit. Genre tv is in.

• Members

The cast had a lot of issues with each other and most of them haven't been desperate enough career-wise to need a reunion. I'm also not sure Whedon would want to do it.

As for this - well it's on NBC so, as mentioned above, I can't see how it would be any good. We'll see. I'd be half-surprised if they couldn't get Ryan Phillippe back as well.

• Members

Whendon is probably the biggest hold up, he just did two huge Avenger films and is probably burnt out from that.

Alyson Hannigan just wrapped up How I Met Your Mother. The only one not doing anything is Nicholas Brennan. I am sure Charisma Carpenter and James Marsters would probably be apart of it. But I think Willow, Angel, Buffy are the big hold ups.

All that said I love the premise of this idea! I wish Ryan Phillippe would be apart of this! Him and SMG were the best part of Cruel Intentions. I never cared for Reese Witherspoon at all. I would be all for Sebastian and Kathryn screwing around with each other in an older business orientated setting. I could careless about this new Bash character though. All they really need in my opinion is Kathryn and Sebastian and some corporate style espionage to make this interesting. Maybe throw in some older veteran actors to round out the step family and it would make things more interesting. But the work is already there.

• Members

I don't think they want to cross Whedon on BTVS. And I think they're smart not to. Plus a lot of the cast either hates each other, is completely disinterested or is Nicholas Brendon, who is an absolute wreck these days. (Charisma Carpenter also may still have bad blood with Whedon.) I think they need to let it lie for a long time.

This, OTOH, smacks of desperation. For both parties, if SMG takes the job. CI wasn't very good even back in the day, but it had hype and style and two then-huge teen stars on its side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I almost disowned you after this comment. No matter how many classic films and modern masterpieces I fall in love with, Cruel Intentions will always hold a special place in my heart. It is, with no irony, one of the best young adult films of all time. Please, don't hurt me more than you already have.

Archived