February 20-24, 2006

Toups

• Members

The bad thing about DOOL is...the acting and the writing. They can be all about family until the cows come home, but the acting as always been subpar. Its almost laughable. When I see parts of it on Soapnet...I wonder why some rave about the show....even the dramatic scenes are pretty bland with the acting.

I just don't get it.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With all due respect the reaction to Margaret is mixed at best. There are clearly viewers who enjoyed her but there are just as many who despised her and every second she was on and cheered her death.

• Members

I'm a DAYS fan but I do like every soap on the air (sorry folks, but GH leaves a lot to be desired at times, just cause it has SO much potential), but it's not fair and it's not right for people to GO OUT OF THEIR WAY to trash DAYS.

I really don't ever see any DAYS fans going out of THEIR ways to trash other soaps.

Why can't we all just accept the fact we all love our soaps no matter what and not bitch and bicker about it! No soap is better than the other. They all have horrid plots at times, horrid actors, etc. Every soap needs better scriptwriters. Most suck. The dialogue is dreadful. But even I admit the scriptwriting on both Passions and Days (which I love) needs a HUGE HUGE makeover.

But the constant back and forth of the DAYS bashing is getting really old and it's not even relevant. I understand this is a message board and everyone is entitled to free speech, but why, if you don't like a show, do you continually talk about it. I'm not really a fan of some shows so why bother talking about it? That's never made sense. If you aren't a fan, then fine. Why waste your energy worrying about it. Worrying about it's appeal, bitching about how it sucks. THAT is what *I* don't get.

Normally I'm quiet and keep to myself, but this bashing is just getting old and tiresome.

• Members

I agree. At least on my campus, soaps are pretty much nonexistent. Sometimes I think that I'm the only one who watches them here. Most people, if they watch TV in the afternoons, watch MTV or ABC Family.

I'm just glad that ATWT went up, even by a little bit. As for sweeps, I don't think that ATWT even bothers with them. Usually they do a lot better the month following sweeps. Like during the Nov. sweeps, ATWT was kind of boring, but Dec. was amazing and everyone noticed it. I've always felt that ATWT does really well in March and (for some reason) April (especially this year, hopefully, with the 50th anniversary coming up then). I think the same is with shows like Days who seemed to have been really good last month.

In some sense, I think that it's better for soaps to be good during non-sweeps months. I know that everyone's talking about how ABC does good during sweeps, and I find that especially true on GH. 9 months out of the year, GH is usually utter crap (at least that was how it was last year), but during the 3 sweep months it's outstanding. That, to me, just isn't good. I'd rather have a soap that's consistently good, and doesn't put on all the stops for a few months. I'm sure that when this whole epidemic storyline is over, GH will be back to its normal, boring self.

• Members

Things must have changed since I was in college from 88 to 93 (yes, I'm old). :D Our dorms were full of soap fans and people crowded in all the lobbies to watch soaps in the afternoon. I guess soaps in general had more fans back then and the quality was better so I hadn't thought about how much this might have changed.

Great to see the GL 18-49 demo! For having bad timeslots in many major markets and having non-stop casting shake-ups, GL is not that far behind the other soaps in total viewers.

• Members

I have been following this board for a couple of years now and I have posted a few times on one of the old boards but after reading this thread I had to register. Every week I hear complaints from Days viewers who don't like their show being bashed. Now I dont' watch Days regularly and never have. I have caught scenes of it before and what I saw was horrid. Last year I this girl with a talking babydoll...isn't that supernatural??? People being killed and sent to some mysterious island where they really aren't killed...and the acting is horrible. The only good actress is the girl who plays Sami. Even Ms. Hall isn't all that like Days fans make her out to be. Days is the worst soap I have ever seen. To say it's better than Y&R or B&B is laughable.

• Members

NBC had a terrible week. And the Thursday numbers for Passions were just awful. I just don't get it; I'm really enjoying the show lately. I'm just hopeful things will improve with the upcoming PassionsVendetta storyline and that people give the show another look. It's an entertaining hour IMO!!

• Members

Great post and I agree with you and SteveFrame-everytime the ratings drop or Days is stuck at the bottom it gets thrashed. Days fans never do that for other shows and its just not fair. if you don't like something that is fine if you say it but its get sickening seeing people only come after it when it performs bad. I mean seriously Days didn't even drop all that much-it was simply because they were off a day and the ABC shows had their sweeps stuff going on hat put Days that low. I love what CBS and NBC have doen. Sure Y&R has had the big trial with John but other then that they haven't done any sweeps stunts like ABC. ABC needs to start giving its fans good storytelling all year not just during sweeps. Say what you want about NBC but at least they keep their fans entertained most of the time throughout the whole year, along with CBS. They don't just build stories and then conclude them in sweeps or have these big explosions and such. It is very clear that CBS and NBC care about the money but not just during 3 months out of the year. Its about the bigger picture and luring all viewers back to the fold at all times during the year. Its not about luring fans in for one month and them losing them again. I applaud CBS and NBC for that.

No you don't and obviously you just missing what everyone else is seeing. Maybe its just not your cup of tea.

• Members

"GL

Monday: 2.5/3,362,000

Tuesday: 2.2/2,577,000

Wednesday: 2.5/3,351,000

Thursday: 2.1/2,615,000

Friday: 2.1/2,661,000"

Gee. Veteran actors playing complex characters in at least somewhat decent story. Is it *really* that difficult to understand?!?

• Members

To be honest Mitch I am not worried anymore. Days has a brand new site, has been doing pretty well in demos and ratings (staying steady), and has been getting critical acclaim and alot of former fans I know have gone back to watching. I also don't see Passions going anywhere with this new vendetta story. I think the new daytime heads are committed to making both shows better before making any hasty decisions.

Besides, Days would probably be higher up if they didn't have Monday off, which was a holiday, and the ABC soaps didn't have their guest stars and sweeps stunts. Days is really turning it up a notch based on spoliers the next few week and as long as it stays where it is I am happy. Its not like the show is crashing and burning and its demos are solid. We know they can get the ratings and have been good on that front in 2006 so far so thier position is pretty good. I am actually surprised they stayed at 2.6 with all the stuff going on at ABC. Once things calm down over there, Days will be back in the middle competing again and I am sure it will make a surge for 3rd yet again with the stuff coming up.

Another person that doesn't get it-the show probably doesn't suit yoru taste then so just stop watching.

Thank you-I always hate when these Days bashers come out of the woodwork whenever they see Days at the bottom. Its even more absurd now given Days was off once last week, on a day that would have given them a high number, and really only feel to the 6th position along with ATWT because ABC was in the middle of their big stunts. Otherwise, Days would have bee where it usually is if not higher if they had Monday. Its almost as if seeing Days near the bottom under any circumstances gives people vindciation or satisfaction. I don't want to hear its the writing or acting because even shows with good writing and acting according to these people aren't doing all that well in the ratings. Days has improved immensely and if some of you don't see it then fine but this bashing is so...I don't know how to explain it but its get on my and clearly every other Days fan on here's nerves. Love your own shows and feel free to express opinions about Days-that is fine if you don't like something but tje kind of stuff that goes on everytime Days goes down or something of that sort is so irrational and childish that it comes off as so petty. End of my rant.

• Members

If DAYS falls next week in overall viewers, then I will start to worry. Monday was good for most of the soaps, so I think it hurt NBC a little bit, and right now every little bit helps. Here's hoping both NBC soaps rebound next week.

Archived