February 20-24, 2006

Toups

• Members

I think the Wednesday episodes are a great break from the traditional form of soap opera storytelling. I also like that they are mixing it up a little in terms of how many people they focus on each Wednesday. I think it is brilliant that they throw out all the rules and do something a little different every week. And the use of contemporary music is perfect, like on Alan-Michael's episode. They use it very strategically just like they do on Grey's Anatomy. I like this trend better than a couple years ago when they tried to be like 24 with all their split screens. I think the Reva, Josh, and Billy show proved that this type of break from the usual form can be successful. Way to go GL!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly.

All I will say is I agree so much with SteveFrame and everyone else that defended Days. This is getting so riddiculous. I watch all 9 soaps but I only comment on my favorites which are Passions and Days. I love ATWT but I don't comment alot because I usually don't watch my tape until weekends. That means that when I voice my opinion its based on 5 days a week, 12 months out of year with a missed day here and there. I love soaps and know that Days and Passions aren't perfect. No soap is and their are bad actors and actresses on every soap. Every soap also has its ruts or bad days. If you don't like a show that is fine but how you can ever bash a show based on one month or an episodes here and there is not only absurd but makes you lack all credibility in your opinions. Even I suffered through 3 years of the current state of GH before I started bashing it. I may not like it and I always state why (its so far from what is used to be and focuses on the wrong people) but I didn't bash it after one day or one month. You need to watch a show consistently for a period of time ot accurately critque it and I know this as well as anyone.

As for the ratings and lack of emmy nods for Days and Passions, go to the emmy forum and look at the threads. Also note the extreme amount of omissions of people deserving of nods. The emmys and ratings hardly indicate quality and this not onle goes for NBC but for the other networks as well. Things should be much different on both fronts but they won't because both systems have flaws. It has nothing to do with writing, acting, etc-many shows have issues and those departments yet they do well in ratings and emmys. I am done with this-its no use like the others have said to try to explain thsi anymore. Its always gonna happen everytime Days falls or gets affected by the fact that sweeps stunts are going on. I just don't understand why Days has to take the worst beating of any of the shows-its no worse then any other soap.

Most definitely. ABC is taking a hard fall in the next few weeks. I hate to see any soaps fall hard even if I don't care for them as much but its a sad fact.

• Members

Well, the vast majority of Days fans are very complimentary about the ACTING on the show. I watch Days and B&B and I think Days has easily the more stellar cast.

As for the WRITING, to claim that any more than a minute proportion of Days viewers are satisfied with JER's performance (current or in the past) as headwriter is sheer delusion.

• Members

To be quite honest, DAYS has one of the best overall casts. It's one of the few shows were the pretty people can act. The small group of people who can't act in no way outweigh the major talent that the show has. It's also one of the few shows where it's vets are on daily. DAYS is very underrated and that bothers me. I am a former anti-DAYS person. The whole spaceship thing w/ the twins pissed me off, lol. Then I had to suffer through the whole serial killer mess, but DAYS has bounced back and since May of 2005, the show is been awesome. IMHO, May 2005 was when the show began it's climb back into greatness.

I've said over the past few months that everyone has the right to bash a show. That is one of the things makes SON so unique. You aren't censored for bashing a show b/c those of us here can engage in intelligent discussions. However, when you bash a show that you don't watch, you can end up looking like an ass. If DAYS back in 2002 sucked and you haven't watched since then, sure you can bash it all you want, but you end up looking like an ass. Or come down with a case of "DD" <----read the random thoughts thread to figure out what DD means.

Compared to some of the recent long, drawn out and BORING stories that many of the other shows have produced, DAYS in the one show that is consistantly getting better with it's writing (who knows if it's JER writing or his team doing all the good work) and showcase of great talent. Mind you, I'm not one to usually sing the praise of DAYS, but I feel what I have said it true.

• Members

Thank you Ryan. You said more eloquently what I had been trying to say. And maybe it will mean more since it does come from a anti-Days fan (as you called yourself).

I like Keith said am Days' biggest critic. I could make many changes on the show. I just don't do it as wonderfully as Keith does in his fan fic. I sit back and post about or just gripe to myself about what they should change.

Even with all my complaints about the show I too have to give credit where credit is due and that is that they are trying to do better and trying to get back to what the show is supposed to be about. Reilly has his faults, but when he writes good old traditional soap stories he does them just as good as anyone can and sometimes better. And he has a wonderful cast to work and even the "pretty" "no talents" sometimes even have a good day.

• Members

:wub: Thank you Steve

And yes, Ryan said wonderfully what we've all been saying and he's mostly an outsider as far as Days goes. The state of soaps today lends itself to the state all of our soaps are in. None come close to their glory Days and never will. Y&R has even begun to feel this, but is in a position as a big money soap (as the top-rated soap) to make changes without big rating falls. Most soaps have to have it be REAL bad for change to be warranted, between headwriter contracts and other such things. But even Y&R began to fall to fanbase wars (SHEILA!). They didn't get nearly as deep as most shows have gotten. Hopefully they can continue to keep themselves out of that whole.

My point is, we all love our shows for different reasons. There are reasons posters bash Days. They're not getting what they want. Some of us are and that is our right. Most of us longtime fans will perk our heads up at the slightest crumb (i.e. Arleen Sorkin's return, for instance). We try not to expect much and, occasionally, we get something really good with that perspective. Others don't feel like lowering their expectations. That's there prerogative. I just hope they don't ever expect any show to be anything more than a shadow of their former selves.

• Members

I don't know why you guys find Ryan's statement to be so funny. I have not looked at all the shows, but I can tell you that in this cast that supposedly cannot act there are 12 former Emmy nominees and 3 of those have won Emmys and many of the others have been praised by the soap opera press and critics for their performances many times. They do have some actors who were hired clearly on their looks or their bodies, but they have very talented actors and actresses who deliver great performances every single day.

And besides Ryan did not say they had the best overall cast, he said they had one of the best.

• Members

Ahh - I don't know - I love Days but they really don't have a high caliber cast. I love most of the cast...but the quality of the acting is not one of the best in daytime. Most of their leading males and females are pretty weak (namely John Black, Roman Brady, Marlena Evans). They do have great cast members, but overall it's lacking compared to most other soaps.

I really do LOVE Days as a soap....but I just have to state my opinion on what I think of the cast's acting abilities.

Archived