GH: Nancy Lee Grahn acts a fool, makes Buzzfeed

• Members

I mean you have no valid claim in this argument. The number of roles and number of awards for black women speak for themselves. I mean of course women are going to win best actress categories. Black women? Not so much.

Logic must escape you and NLG.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There have only been 7 black women nominated in the best lead actress in a drama category (2 of which were first time nominees this year). That alone proves that Davis had a point that Grahn totally overlooked. The low number of nominations is not surprising, because leading parts for black actresses have simply never really existed. Even when you look at the comedy category, Isabel Sanford is the only black woman to win there and that was 34 years ago. There hasn't been a black actress even nominated in that category in 30 years.

• Members

So.  Much.  Truth.

I still remember, too, when Jackee won Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for "227" and how big of a deal THAT was.  Aside from her and the girl from OITNB, though, how many WOC have even been nominated in that particular category, let alone have actually won it?  Because I really can't recall that many.

ETA: Oops, I was wrong about Uzo Aduba.  Her Emmys are for Outstanding GUEST (and not Supporting) Actress in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.  Which makes Jackee the only AA to win her category...way the hell back in 1987.  Yeah, Viola Davis just read the industry.

• Members

If you ask me (and yes, I know you didn't), NLG's comments last night just bring to light something that AA women have been saying for decades -- that for all their talk about equality, many Caucasian women who consider themselves feminists are no better than the redneck fools of this world who would rather see us return to the back of the bus.

Don't worry, that paragon of tolerance, Ms. Melissa Reeves, is on the horn to see whether Chik-Fil-A could throw a little love toward GH's way.

• Members

I keep thinking why didn't she just celebrate?  Fantastic actress with strong writing and performances being recognized in a category filled with awesome.  Instead she decided to truly not be progressive during a watershed moment in her industry.

She seemed at last to realize her mistake, and apologize.  But who wants to listen to it after some of the tweets she made before she recognized how bad it was by that point.

outspoken can come back to bite you.

Archived