The Young and the Restless: December 2014 Thread

• Members

That's what I was trying to say.

It really doesn't matter, gay or straight, there are just some characters TPTB are unininterested in writing for. By the way, does anyone seriously see Y&R writing a fully fleshed out gay character? One that has an onscreen life, a real partner with actual hopes and dreams. Call me cynical but I don't. Y&R strikes me as one of the most conservative of the daytime dramas, now more than ever with only 4 left on air, they seemed determined to claim to push boundaries while obviously maintaing the status quo.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is today's episode like the episode filled with deadweights and irrelevance?

We have Kevin, who needs to croak on spot, whining about Michael, who also needs to die off. Hell, at this point I want Lauren to die too after watching those painful scenes with she and Michael. Then we have irrelevant, stagnant ass Lily trying to come for irrelevant ass Joe, who is trying to convince irrelevant ass Cane to sponsor his project. And do get me started on Stevie Wonder Neil's blind ass....

Only scene that I am interested in is Kelly v. Phyllis because someone is finally calling Redzilla out on her sh*t.

• Members

The only scenes I liked today were Kelly giving it back to Phyllis (and i'm even Team Phyllis!). Thought the scenes were well done and good to see Kelly get a backbone. Now I hope she gives Jack Hell just as much!

Avery/Dylan were beyond snooze.

Kevin should have cancer instead of Michael.

Michael was so over-the-top with his reaction today I found it laughable and not giving a care that his character had cancer....which I think defeated those scenes. tongue.png And Lauren had to keep up with Michael's overacting or it would have come off really lopsided and even more cartoonish. I blame CLB for going there first.

• Members

It is not only odd but glaring that Y&R has no gay characters, not even in recurring roles (like at Jabot!?!?). There was a time when incorporating gayness of any kind was seen as risky (or, worse, played as villainy), but I just don't see the risk anymore. I mean, didn't Santa Barbara make Channing Capwell gay THIRTY YEARS ago? Didn't Laura on GH have a gay assistant fifteen years ago? Didn't Lucas on GH come out to and find full acceptance from his family ten years ago? Honest, Y&R, we won't be shocked. Factor in that any number of characters, starting with all of the Fisher-Baldwin men, could be written quite believably as gay, and it's even more puzzling why Y&R hasn't gone there.

I can't believe there's any reluctance on JFP's part. After all, she has never shied from bold story moves (successful or not) or controversy and was brought on ostensibly to "contemporize" Y&R. Plus, she oversaw Lucas' touching coming-out on GH a decade ago (when Chuck Pratt was a head writer at GH and before he penned some truly offensive "gay" drama at AMC). More than any other soap I have ever watched, Y&R is ripe for a gay character or three. Or perhaps Y&R's audience really is that conservative, and CBS does not want to take the risk. But like understanding, supportive friends, we viewers are waiting patiently for them to be honest and join us in 2014. It's OK, Y&R. There's nothing you can tell us that will make us love you any less. We'll be here for you no matter what.

• Members

These were the best scenes that Cady has had so far. Great stuff from both she and Gina. They gave us a classic soap confrontation and I enjoyed it immensely. I'm mostly on Kelly's side in this particular instance, but I hate it when characters turn an argument physical. I feel it's anachronistic. I can tolerate a "catfight", but the soap slap has got to go.

It was a misstep to have Lauren laugh like that when Michael told her the news. Maybe if it had been Summer, but a 50 year old woman does not laugh at the word cancer no matter how surprised they might be. It's a word that strikes fear into the heart of any mature human being. I agree CLB was also over the top. Is the reaction of a 50+ year old man really, "why me" "life is so unfair", weeks after getting diagnosed? IDK, maybe if you've lived one hell of a privileged life and haven't been paying attention.

I liked Lily today. She spoke for me when she told Jack what's what. Joe is attractive, but slimy. His comments to Lily were so inappropriate, too bad she looked so pleased by them. dry.png

Mostly I think Davery are boring, but their scenes today were kind of sweet.

• Members

Admittedly, this is the first show I've watched that has JP as the head writer. I googled her and see that she has an extensive resume doing this job.

However, I've witnessed great writing (Pam Long and Nancy Curlee on GL) and this doesn't compare. It's not the worst but it's far from perfect. Just sayin

Archived