Bill Cosby

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For many years, whenever anyone asked Eddie Murphy about Bill Cosby he demurred, out of a sense of obligation until he remembered how critical Cosby had always been of Murphy in his career.  If anyone saw that interview Eddie Murphy did with Jerry Seinfeld on his Netflix show Comedians In Cars... it's very clear as to why Murphy no longer felt that sense of obligation, being that Cosby never felt a sense of obligation toward him or any other comedians. Turnabout is fair play.

Cosby neglects to see how he's mocked, berated and joked about anyone that didn't fit his ideal of how an entertainer should act or comport him/herself. He was an absolute control freak with Lisa Bonet and he practically made a second career out of chiding low-income black people during his speaking engagements, while holding himself to exception based on fraudulent criteria.  Now, he wants to be all 'power to the people' with the same communities he once mocked and derided?  Oh puh-lease, Bill. 

• Members

Murphy turned down what could have been a pretty big media moment for him in 2015 when Norm Macdonald wrote a Celebrity Jeopardy sketch with Murphy as Cosby for the 40th anniversary. Macdonald is an absolutely brutal writer, so Cosby would have been torn to pieces in front of tens of millions of viewers. That was a real act of generosity on Murphy's part. Sadly sociopaths like Bill Cosby can't process such things.

• Members

Agree!

Eddie Murphy has experienced his share of public embarrassments over the years.  (Remember when he (allegedly?) picked up a hitchhiking "transvestite"?)  Unlike Bill Cosby, though, Eddie's never presented himself to the public as an upholder of family values.  So, AFAIC, Bill had it coming.

Also, Wyatt's statement brought back to mind all those accusations from others that Eddie has never used his celebrity or fame to help other, struggling entertainers of color -- when, in fact, I think Eddie did what he could to help promote Black comics such as Chris Rock and (ugh) Arsenio Hall.

I remember reading about that and thinking, "Wow, Eddie HAS mellowed," lol.

But, you're right, it was tremendously generous of him NOT to go in on "the Coz" like that.  I'm not so sure another comedian -- Dave Chappelle, for example -- would have felt and responded the same way.

Heck, if I'd been a writer for SNL, it would've taken everything within me NOT to write a commercial parody where Bill feeds all his victims Jell-O Pudding Pops.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Bill Cosby is someone that I wish I could yell obscenities at, because he has no remorse and no self-awareness. Even before the revelations I never much cared for him because he was too pretentious.

Eric Monte (Good Times) claims that the idea for the Cosby Show was stolen from him after he pitched it to a producer who would go on to produce the Cosby Show. I don't know how true that is but it wouldn't surprise me if it was true, because it was odd how Cosby finally managed to find a hit after other failed television comedy show and pitched idea can easily be stolen. Taking another black man's idea, making money with white producers off it and not compensated him for it seems more slave like than a silly joke.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

alphan, you have been blocked since you first started claiming all 50+ women were in on a scam years ago so don't expect me to respond to you now.

Cosby will never be who he was - a respected star and authority - again. He will never draw massive crowds or enjoy implicit respect, and he will never work in major entertainment again. He will die as this - a serial rapist who walked on a technicality. That's the only solace and the only justice.

Thus ends my ever giving Phylicia Rashad a fraction of my time again: