Bill Cosby

• Members

This is something that strangely, didn't surprise me. I have already said that cancel culture doesn't exist. Society will diminish and defame even women who are supposed to be in power, so how do you think it will treat those who are regarded as being without power?

Cosby proves that money makes all the difference in the world, in how people are treated within the criminal justice system. There are non-violent offenders who got out due to COVID-19 running rampant in prisons, who have lived exemplary lives while under house arrest who must now face re-incarceration because the prison industrial complex now says that Covid-19 is over. They do not have money so they have to hope that someone with clout can amplify their cause, if they are lucky.

As for Rashad, she no doubt, backtracked out of fear for her new job as Dean of the Fine Arts school but this is not the first time she has vocalized her support for Cosby, at the expense of the victims and Howard University decided to make her dean anyway-- they knew what she was about.

This was a reason why I was concerned about Howard naming their Fine Arts school after Boseman because with his much talked about connection to Phylicia Rashad, I just knew she would be chosen for a critical position in that school, proving that in many cases, who one knows can trump any qualifications someone else might have.

But again, wasn't the least surprised.

Also, all of these prosecutors were very very sloppy. Knowing the sad reality that the burden of proof is on the plaintiff, they needed to present a meticulous case, which includes doing homework to make sure there were no loopholes, and they didn't.

They let their ego get in the way of doing due diligence and now, look.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

In reading more, I was reminded of the incredibly foolish bargain that the prosecutor in the civil case made with Cosby's legal team to get him deposed on the civil trial. It's the real reason why Cosby was ultimately released. My mind is blown how someone can demonstrate such hubris.

• Members

This is a true slap in the face for all women, most especially survivors of sexual assault. It is infuriating. Any bit of respect I may have had for Phylicia Rashad is gone forever. Of course, Cosby's Stepford Wife was at his side and she took him back. Disgusting.

Not one shred of remorse. Not one. He was gleefully rubbing salt in the wounds of his victims. He, along with OJ and the disgraced, one-term, twice impeached former president, belongs on the Mount Rushmore of Sociopathic Women Abusers.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

It's certainly further proof that this hasn't changed. Money, fame and power have gotten so many of these abusive men off.  Hell, just being a man is enough in many cases. No matter how many women come forward, it doesn't seem to be enough.

It's not just that he got off legally either. Someone like Phylicia Rashad feels completely comfortable coming out to support him against 50 women!! Then she gets a leadership position on a campus being a role model to young women. Rape culture in the U.S is an intractable problem. It really is infuriating.

• Members

The money aspect also extends to the prosecution's decision to prioritize the civil case over the criminal case.

I cannot stress how critical the prosecutor's decision to make that initial "deal" to Cosby, figured in his eventual release. It is the reason why Cosby was eventually released. I don't know who gave that prosecutor permission to extend that offer to Cosby to get him deposed for the civil case, but clearly, they messed up.

As I said before, hubris!

• Members

I think it's a little bit of a stretch to call Carroll Baker "film legend" (

Please register in order to view this content

), and this is just like Angela Lansbury's antiquated views which came to light during the initial MeToo furore. Ms Baker comes from a different era, and even though we might find her views appalling, why should we even bother about them? I would imagine that a majority is thinking: Carroll who? 

• Members

The thing I can't believe is just the total discounting that these women were all in it for the fame. ???  How on Earth do they all have such similar stories of how it happened and it's not like they all KNEW each other.  I know, we're going back years at this point even with the case itself and this has all been said.  I don't know how Phylicia stands herself, and I wonder what Howard thinks about their decision now.  And in my head I know that none of these women were more important than another, but I cannot get out of my head Beverly Johnson.  OK, so say any one of the other women want attention (it's clear to me that they didn't), but how do you explain Johnson with the SAME story, and she doesn't NEED the attention...her career speaks for itself - there's NOTHING in it for her.

And above, you all pointed it out.  Men.  Hey, I'm a gay man but I say it all the time, when conservative women get on their high horse about (now I'm talking about the Karens out there) - about men should marry women, no Adam and Steve, etc. - you know the old school type.  I've more than once said on boards and to faces - hey, I might be gay, but guess what, I could say I'm a man and that makes me up the totem pole from ya sweets.  So you can go the biology route if you want and gripe about who is using whose bathroom, but I'm still a man and you can go fight that battle all day but it's true.  So have a seat.

And lets not forget, these men not only get away with it, they become Supreme Court justices.  

• Members

I never got that, either. Despite the fact that he's been married to Camille for decades, I'm sure that even at the beginning he wasn't into being faithful. Still, even the thought of a man being turned on by drugging and sexually abusing women when they are in no condition to say NO is absolutely disturbing. He is absolutely sick.