GH: November 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

True but I wish Kathleen Gati would play it that way. She needs to do more smirking, wink wink, and mustache twirling, not playing it straight the whole time. When she plays it straight, it becomes unbearable and it just makes Obrecht seem like an outright delusional Pollyanna. She needs to go to Michelle Stafford for advice. And Gati has a way of making that kind high camp fun, where when Stafford or Roger Howarth try to it's just annoying.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why does this Luke story need to do more than any story starring Sonny, Jason and Carly these last 15 years? It's a story, it has badguys, and it has to be convoluted so people wonder who Luke actually is. That's half the fun of the story, guessing who Luke is. I hope it goes on for months more, because it is the best thing on GH and it has picked up right where it left off. Just look, episodes featuring Luke and Faison by necessity mean less or no Sonny, Carly and Franco. So if nothing else, every scene Luke is in means one less scene starring Sonny and Carly. For that alone emmys should be handed out.

• Members

What the heck do Sonny, Jason and Carly have to do with anything? There is nothing fun about this story. Its a hot mess that has been going on for far too long and needs to be ended ASAP. They could have revealed Fluke as Reginald in a mask, and Id have been okay, as long as its almost over. Right now you are just comparing crap to poop. Its all sh-t to me

• Members

I really hope someone is getting the message to Ron that no matter what he does or how great an actress Kathleen Gati is, no one is going to buy that Anna and Obrecht are moral equivalents, or that what Anna did to the man who took her daughter and stole her family for years is in any way comparable to Obrecht's endless reign of terror.

I love KG and think Obrecht can have a place on the show with better writing, but every day they let her scream and cry and moan about how much of a "hypocrite" Anna is I just want Obrecht to die violently. She is scarcely better than Faison, and Anna needs to punch her in the throat.

This is what Ron always does now - he goes too far and tries to push his antiheroes as the actual, suffering protagonists.

• Members

To say nothing of the decades Faison has terrorized and tormented Anna and the Scorpios. He was responsible for their family being destroyed in the '90s as well.

The problem is, whatever he claims in his interviews, when it comes to what he puts out onscreen this is how Ron clearly sees it - that characters like Anna are 'hypocrites' and Obrecht's suffering and heartache is valid, that she is a wronged party. All because he and the creative team are too enamored of the character and actress to be honest and fair to the actual ensemble and story. They don't realize it is actually ruining this character they want to use so much.

He's doing the same thing with Franco and Nina, too. Oh, Carly made him believe he could be human!

• Members

The problem is he is writing for actors, not characters.

Obrecht had one good moment - pulling off the Anna mask - and a lot of badly cooked ham. Weeping over her flop kids, generic piano bar singing, and so on and so forth.

Just dump Obrecht and have Kathleen Gati come on as herself, an actress looking for a gig who just happens to look like that crazy lady who used to run the hospital.

Jamey and friends would eat it up, and that's all Ron cares about anyway, other than himself.

• Members

I think Obrecht can work on the canvas in a limited capacity. Unfortunately, Ron and Frank have no sense of "limited capacity" when it comes to their favorites, especially favorites who are conveniently not on a pricey contract and can therefore be played more heavily than half the longtime cast.

The problem is they are so in love with her and want her to be everything all at once - queen bitch! campy villain! tragic mother! fun meddler! The truth is, Obrecht is at best a deeply damaged narcissist (if not a sociopath) and a vicious terrorist who experimented on human beings. She claims to weep for her boring kids, but it's really all about how other people she 'loves' are processed through her needs. She is a villain and needs to be handled as such. You can acknowledge her dimensions and human frailty, sure, but that doesn't mean you use them to try and make her the heroine of a situation - especially not one where her counterpoint is Anna Devane, a woman who has every reason in the universe to destroy Faison and Obrecht.

They did this to Franco, they're doing it to Nina and they did it to a number of characters on OLTL, though not nearly as bad as what they've done at GH - they get so enamored of the crazy characters that they try to push them hard as the true root-for stars of the show. I don't think it's a cynical calculation, either. I think these people honestly believe Obrecht is, deep down, valid in her POV.

• Members

lol. Love this! My favorite Obrecht moment was her turning around in the park in that stunning Fedora revealing herself as Britta's mother. That was marvelous. I thought, "Ladies & Gents, we have ourselves a villain". Her next scene was in a bathrobe in the hotel dancing like a clown. Then I thought, "Damn, we could not have a few months of a villain? Why go straight to the inevitable clown after just one eppy"? What a waste. Now, O is ff material. I never watch her!!!! EVER!!!!!

• Members

To me she's not even a villain. She's just a loser and always has been. I don't think any of these characters (Nina, Franco, Obrecht) would work as villains. I don't think Ron knows how to write villains, because he has no real understanding of the nature of drama. To him it's an excuse to indulge in fetishes, like the way he used Mitch Lawrence to explore his fetishes about rape and incest.

GH has no moral center. It hasn't since about 1997, but it's easier to overlook when you at least care about some of the people involved. That's impossible at this point. Now you have paper-thin "good" people and "misunderstood," somehow even more paper-thin antagonists.

Archived