GH: November 2014 Discussion Thread

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Roger has made us care about Franco? When?

It's funny when Obrecht judges people like Sonny? Nope.

Isn't it so fun to have a loony toon like Nina running around? NO.

Keeping Nina around long-term? No thanks. And I'm not holding my breath on those moments where we'll be rooting for her and Franco.

This man just needs to stop talking.

• Members

Yeah I wasn't going to mention it until someone mentioned how bad she was today. I thought man is she awful today…lol….but I don't blame her. Other actors on the soap are also just phoning it in…and they are the vets of the show and I am not even talking about Maurice.

• Members

As I said on PTV, this:

is the closest I have ever seen Ron come to an admission of failure with a story or character. "Arguable success." He goes on to say that perhaps they took the teeth out of Franco early on. That's the real problem with Franco, of course; he's not bad enough! Roger isn't getting to do what he does best! Oy gevalt.

As usual I think Ron makes some good points, like invoking Sheila, Annie Dutton, etc. Yes, those kind of wrecking ball characters are important sometimes. But those actresses and the writing teams that supported them did some really incredible, deep work, whereas Nina is just a cartoon. He can claim we're not really expected to root for Nina, Franco, Obrecht, etc. just yet - that that will come "later, maybe" - but I just do not believe that is the show they've been writing. We are clearly already expected to at least somewhat sympathize with all of them. I think Ron often does a little dance about his true feelings in these interviews, dances around what he really feels and thinks. God knows he's outright lied in interviews before; remember A.J.'s big fall story? And I think he sort of dismisses the 'heroic' characters he mentions. His interests are too often the wild antiheroes or psychos.

I think there is nothing wrong with there being "no real heroes" in a storyline - not every story has to have that, though I think some should. Nor is there anything wrong with shades of gray on soap opera; everyone on a soap has their reasons for doing good or bad, that is the essence of drama. But Ron used to put all the characters over better without handicapping one or more to support his favorites. Now it all seems very slapdash and crooked around keeping his faves in the spotlight. Anything Franco, Nina, etc. does is simply counterbalanced by someone else doing something they wouldn't or shouldn't to make them look bad. That's artificial equality, it's not writing for character. It's just throwing everyone in the paper shredder, or throwing them in the mud and then calling that human nature.

• Members

Franko and Nina's ha! ha! goofy hijinks suck and they seriously would not be missed. Neither would the crypt sex baby.

Now they are writing for yet another new character Agent whatshisface. A character going after Anna for no reason, a protegee of Anna's who no one has ever heard of. He's a decent looking guy, but it's another made up plot point out of nowhere story.

Where's Maxie? Lulu? Dante? Det. Woodcock[who's not a great actor, but at least he's pretty!] Mac? Felecia?

Instead we get little kids acting like adults...Oh wait Sean and Jordan were going to talk to TJ [bet that talk is off screen] and Molly hasn't been around for TJ in months. Max got shot and hasn't been seen since.

Maybe FrankenRon should just start a spinoff with their gawdawful characters, and they can take McDrain and Kaka too.

They should watch some clips from the late 70s early 80s to learn how to balance a large cast with quality scenes for the popular characters[like Luke, Laura, Robert] with their vets[steve, Audrey, Jessie, Dan] interacting as well as acting like the characters they are supposed to play, not a husk of them. The current state of this show has become so bad, that after 36 years, it almost feels like a chore to watch it, something I do because I used to like it, certainly not because I enjoy this mess..

I pity the actors[like Poor Jane Elliott, whose intelligent character has turned into a blithering moron crying for Fluke] for having to perform this whatever you want to call it.

• Members

The other problem I have with Ron's characters is the number of directions each character they've created has gone in. Take Ava, for example. She cares about her daughter but she's a sniper, but she's in love with Morgan, but she's a murderer, but she still loves Silas, but she frames AJ. Which leads to Silas Who? Which leads to a dead pharmacist. Which leads to her innocence. Which wasn't her at all, but she'll screw on a grave, but she loves her child to be. Not to mention setting up Carrrrrrrrrllllllllllloooooooooooss to take the blame. Did they ever plan the character, or did Ron just go on a crystal meth binge and wrote everything that came into his mind?

There's nothing wrong with a grey character, but I don't even think he knows what he's writing. I love MW, but her character is a train wreck. How do you salvage the character to keep a woman with such presence viable? I don't know, but I'd hate to see her have to go because the haphazard writing puts her in a position they just can't redeem.

• Members

I for once enjoyed the questions being asked and Ron's answers were semi-sane. I don't agree with everything he said but at least I could follow the logic of his comments. I liked that he called Dante, Nathan, Liz and Maxie heroes. There are obviously others you can put in that category but at least he views these characters as good people because I like all of them.

I'm curious to see what he has to say about the Lucy/Duke/Anna mess, I hope Kevin's disappearance was asked about.

Archived