Things Soaps Use To Do, That You Think They Should Bring Back ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Less newcomers. (Yes, Days, looking at you.) More vets and better stories. (Again, Days.) Returns of quality talent. (Days, broken record?)

And like SoapDope said, "Our story will continue in a moment" works well. Have classic openings with sponsors, just like the old P&G days.

• Members

Multi-generational stories and characters. They don't always have to drive story, but be present and involved.

No character in a front burning storyline onscreen more than 3 days a week. Even at the height of Luke and Laura mania, GH had other strong plots and characters driving stories.

• Members

Giving the characters aspirations and careers. Job story lines always serve as a great catalyst to other stories outside work.

I wish Y&R would get back to Jabot v. Newman business stories.

I wish B&B would revive the Spectra clan and have them go at Forrester Creations while Spencer Publications uses their media outlets to put the two against one another.

I wish that DAYS would focus more on the hospital. Or that we'd see Abby (along with Will) follow into her parents' footsteps and become a journalist. I'd love to see Jennifer go back to her roots and become the editor for The Spectator. I wanna see Hope/Rafe at the police station. I wanna see Abe (as mayor) get involved in political situations.

I wish GH would focus more on the hospital too. Along with the Qs at ELQ. Carly running the Metro Court. For Mac to return to the PCPD alongside Anna with Jordan, Nathan (even though I loathe him), and Dante in that group. I'd like to see Lulu finally gain some career aspirations. For Lucy to buy Deception from Laura or Carly and run it with Maxie being a stylist and Lulu being the model (like Laura used to be).

These people need to go back to damn work and get out the bedroom--well sofa because soaps are too cheap to slap together a bedroom set. :rolleyes:

• Members

Character voice overs instead of the characters randomly talking about taking over there rivals company in the middle of a restaurant. Also, V.O's add a certain psychological element that can't be replicated elsewhere.

I also agree with the "We will return to our story in just a moment". Actually, announcers will be GREAT. I love AW's old opening were they would say, "And now the continuing story of Another World."

• Members

I can't stress this enough -- LONGER SCENES. I hate the trend these days of doing soundbyte scenes that stretch things out over an entire episode that REALLY should've been covered in one scene. Longer scenes allow writers & actors to really build drama through dialog & performance while both enhancing both the plot needs as wells those much needed character moments.

And I 100% agree about those introspective voice overs as the camera goes in tight onto angsty faces.

• Members

OMG! I've wanted a live broadcast soap for years. If marketed right, I think it could work well what with social media. Broadcast the show live on-air while webcasting a BTS webshow (while offering viewers a "dual screen experience"). Meanwhile, have some explicitly in charge of social media during the live East Coast broadcast who tweets/facebooks/instagrams/etc from behind the scenes of the show AS IT'S BEING DONE. And I can imagine that story leaks would dry up really quick.

• Members

I really appreciate B&B's love of establishing exterior shots and I'm glad that Y&R has followed suit. I'd like to see them on DOOL and GH.

I'd like to see less plots and more character exploration, relationships and the psychology of them which seemed most popular in the seventies.

Archived