Y&R First Look: Gina Tognoni as Phyllis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See, for that exact same reason, I trusted that JW would do well in the role of Jill. I cannot explain it other than to say, that based on the empathy she stoked playing such a pathetic character and how much she was able to get my attention (I really zeroed in on her character more than others--I started watching Capitol toward the end of its run), I knew she had acting skills.

I was thinking too that they should just suggest that the Nurses did it while grooming her or some time of minor surgery or because it was easy to treat her injuries with less hair.

Her current 'do does make me think though, that she will be placed in with Jack as his love interest and as a rival to Kelly. I think her involvement with Nick will solely be through the Summer paternity storyline and her interaction with Sharon will be through that as well.

• Members

Yes, it was clear JW had acting skills and it was those skills that made the implausible - that she played this (older) hooker who would captivate the rich and powerful on Capitol rather than some sweet thing. I had a hard time picturing how she could play Jill who was wearing expensive evening gowns to the office - those were hilariously inappropriate business attire. Anyway, that was an extreme example. In this case, GT has exhibited the sensuality and fire of Phyllis in her previous roles - we also know she has the ability to play a wide range. Honestly, if anyone can make this work, it will be her. However, if she's given one-note b*tchy lines, it will bomb. We'll know within a couple of weeks if this is going to work.

• Members

The problem isn't whether or not Gina CAN play this role, the problem is whether or not the writers know or care enough to make this a proper Phyllis recast or simply a character sharing the same name ala Victoria or Billy.

Now if she looks like this I can be won over...

But84R5CMAAPLNq.jpg

• Members

As stated before, my big problem is that I don't think they have any interest or investment in recreating the Jack and Phyllis pairing. The only time I ever liked Stafford was when she was with Peter Bergman - he brought out something very genuine in her, not just her trying to show off. I know much more seasoned Y&R viewers can make all sorts of jokes about Bergman and Jack and I think most of them are probably pretty valid, but I think he's an exceptional actor and I think it was a great pairing. But I don't think Y&R cares about it beyond being a springboard for future drama - I think they're eager to get Tognoni out among any and every other male. The first impulse of any soap with a new star these days is chemistry test, chemistry test, chemistry test with our young guns. And I think that's going to leave her character floundering about like a dozen other leads on this show.

• Members

Gina should have shaved her head for this role, imo. I mean Phyllis has to have had some sort of brain surgery, right? I think it would be edgy and the right kind of shock to the Phyllis/Y&R fanbase to get over it and move on.

Archived