Empire: Discussion Thread

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Just speaking for myself, in my post, I make the distinction by saying 'formal' education precisely because I didn't want someone to make the mistake of taking my words to mean that I was saying Hakeem was uneducated.

And maybe it's early and maybe Hakeem is always "on" in his rap persona but I have yet to hear Hakeem code switch. In front of his Mother (who he called a B*tch), he always seems to use the same language and tone. I don't see any variance.

• Members

And I used the term well educated because I believe people can educated themselves. Yes, I would have thought someone like Lucious would send his children to the best private schools once he made it, but that doesn't mean I think that's the only way people can learn. You can be smart and not know who Mama Rose is or an idiot and get the reference. It just seems to me they made more of a point to show us what Jamal and Andre (business acumen) have going on upstairs and less so with Hakeem. Although, I will say that his rap for Bunky was very clever.

• Members

There really is so much to explore within the sibling dynamics of their brothers. In the flashback with Andre protecting Lucious, we see him rapping along with his Dad. Why did he stop? It's to the point where Lucious had to repeatedly ask Andre what he thought of Hakeem's song. Did Andre perform at some point and disappoint his Dad?

• Members

Remember in that first episode Andre and Rhonda were (literally) looking down on Hakeem and Jamal when they were singing together. Andre said something along the lines of Lucious favoring Hakeem because of his talent. Also that he still loved Jamal more than Andre, even though he hates Jamal. All this because of musical talent. So I take it that maybe Andre just isn't good enough to be a professional? I mean, how many people really are? Even in big family acts, it's often one or two who carry the rest. I'm also not sure we are really supposed to believe that Andre is right about the way Lucious feels.

• Members

Right, but Jock really did favor Bobby, which is what made all of those relationships so interesting. Especially, with Miss Ellie favoring Gary. I feel like the jury is still out with Lucious. It makes sense to me that he favors Hakeem because he basically raised alone from a baby and Hakeem makes the same kind of music Lucious did. Still, Lucious really does have a cold streak in him, very similar to Jock (what have you done for me lately), so I'm interested to see how all of these relationships shake out.