Y&R: April 2014 Discussion

• Members

Kelly was just starting to grow on me so it's a bummer she is being recast. I loved Cady McClain as Dixie (less so on the PP version) but I just can't see her as Kelly.

I loved Jill on Thursdays episode. She was just great, and her scenes with Jack and Kelly were especially good. Wish they hadnot waited so long to get Cynthia and Jess in scenes together

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quite frankly, I think Kelly, Stitch, and Hilary are great characters. The show needs new blood. The Newman hour is quite boring. How many ways can the show do Victor vs Jack, Victor/Nikki redux and Sharon/nick redux before it becomes redundant.

That said I think Watros performance is the reason Kelly became a bigger character and I do think she was intended as the H & R driver.

Also, Papa Bell basically wrote out two major families in the early 80s and hired a bunch of new characters. Part of it was due to the show expanding to an hour, but also because the original actors were leaving. He even said he took a big gamble and wasn't 100 % certain it would pay off.

• Members

So what's the deal with the credits and closed captioning listing CG as "Cassie Newman"? I truly enjoy her scenes with EB. CR has matured quite well and is quite skilled as an actress. As long as she's not Cassie, I don't care what explanation they give to keep her. I also hope the reveal isn't rushed. My secret wish is that the next person to see her is Nikki. I'd love to see MTS play this beat and then go to Victor and watch him dance around this.

• Members

Bell didn't just hire a bunch of new characters while discarding older character.

He did the same thing he did to Y&R in 76 (promoted existing secondary characters to leads while heavily integrating the newer characters he created with existing characters).

• Members

I think that they did give her a first name. But I don't think that they even think along those lines when it comes to credits. IMO, they are listing her as Cassie Newman because she was playing Cassie Newman in flashbacks before the writing made her real.

Which is sad because he has been in leading story (mostly supporting to Sharon or Phyllis) since he came on the show. Always plenty of airtime and story.

• Members

Josh Morrow does great work on Y&R, in my opinion.

These criticisms of coasting and phoning it in are ridiculous. JM has a natural acting style without the annoying acting tics that other actors consistently use. He's believable and present in his scenes. "Phoning it in" is a cheap and easy shot taken so often on this board that I can't even listen to it any longer.

As far as Emmy nominations, since when has this Daytime Emmy process been fair or valid? You can't complain about the Daytime Emmys on here and then use Morrow's lack of nominations as proof he's not doing good work.

Archived