Ratings from the 80's

• Members

Remember CBS had given up 4 pm ET in September 1986 so the only way CBS could've kept Capitol and premiered B&B is by ending $25,000 Pyramid. CBS would not drop Card Sharks a little over a year into its run or move it away from being the lead in to The Price is Right and risk incurring the wrath of Mark Goodson (it was alleged that Mark Goodson demanded CBS give Card Sharks the lead in to The Price is Right in January 1986 or he would take both shows to another network).

A hypothetical CBS schedule March 1987 could have been

10 am Capitol

10:30 am Card Sharks

11 am The Price is Right

Noon Local programming

12:30 pm Y&R

1:30 pm B&B

2 pm As the World Turns

3 pm Guiding Light

Who knows how long Capitol would have lasted in an early morning slot because clearances would still be an issue.

I think you meant to put series premiere for B&B and new time for As the World Turns.

That 3rd-6th tier is showing lots of movement w/ supercouple Days, All My Children, One Life to Live, As the World Turns.

B&B is in pretty much the same place where Capitol ended.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Looking at GL ratings, Pamela Long cannot return fast enough. 

GL was in a really bad way ratings-wise from 1986 until the end of the decade yet its amazing that it didn't enter cancel territory in that time.

I personally liked the Robert Calhoun era but the ratings didn't reflect the improvement in the show.

• Members

I see OLTL did better in the rankings than the actual ratings. All the soaps trended down where OLTL simply remained about the same despite Tina going over the falls and Viki going to Heaven. 

B&B premiered quite steady in the ratings-I wonder how that compares to other new soap ratings?

• Members

One other option, although clearances would likely be a tremendous issue, is having Capitol in the 12 p.m. slot. The problem is that unlike ABC and NBC, CBS traditionally always left a half-hour available to the affiliates. So, really, Capitol's conclusion was a fait accompli. 

• Members

The big departure week on Days as per earlier post in this thread. Deidre Hall, Peter Reckell, Kristian Alfonso all moved on to primetime.

There was a drop in the next week ratings. Lets see how long its takes for the second part of supercouple Days (Steve/Kayla years) to take off.