Y&R: February 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

LMBO at it "it takes a village". I swear, every character on this show is propping Chelsea and her "love" for Adam. I can't stand it.

I get the feeling that TPTB are not interested in Sharon as a lead "romantic heroine" anymore. That's all Chelsea and Victoria. Everyone else gets scraps or prop duty.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If that is true, it may be why I can finally tolerate Sharon. I've always loathed her, and suddenly I find myself really enjoying her scenes with almost everyone. Even Nick. I thought there was something wrong with me! (checking forehead for fever).

But don't you think it's probably more that they're going to reunite Nick and Sharon. Neither is really playing romance with anyone these days. Seems like they're being held in reserve.

If that is true, it may be why I can finally tolerate Sharon. I've always loathed her, and suddenly I find myself really enjoying her scenes with almost everyone. Even Nick. I thought there was something wrong with me! (checking forehead for fever).

But don't you think it's probably more that they're going to reunite Nick and Sharon. Neither is really playing romance with anyone these days. Seems like they're being held in reserve.

• Members

They really should reunite them and let them play interfering parents to Noah for a while to establish his character. But, sadly, I don't think this is what is going to happen. I notice that Mary Sue Crocker flirting with Nick a few days ago so I think that he might get pulled into a triangle with her and Dylan. I think Sharon will be out in the cold once again when the truth comes out. She needs a none Newman pairing anyway. I choose Neil. They will never bring Dru back and I want Leslie to regret the choice she made in not marrying Neil...just cause.

• Members

One of the biggest issues that contributed to the demise of soaps. DAYS and B&B still do convos and, guess what, they're much better than GH and Y&R. Y&R (the show that once built 90% of its drama out of conversations and interactions) acts like having people discuss needs to be dealt with in mere seconds. Meanwhile, GH only does it when it needs to set up/excuse/explain a plotline.

Then again, you actually have to write characters in character to do conversations and you've got to give each of them a different voice in order to make it interesting. That's too much work when the plot calls!

It's really sad that Stitch will be saddled with her. It's also sad when a newbie can potentially elevate a 10 year vet. But then again she most likely will drag him down with her.

• Members

Maybe it's because I watched ADD/ABCsoaps for most of the last decade, but I don't agree with this about Y&R. Most of today's show centered around conversations that had real heft and emotional impact.

Sharon's conversations with Hillary and Chelsea were good IMO. The conversation between Neil and Lindsay was really good. I don't like David Tom or Victoria (regardless of who portrays her), but they also had a pretty serious and profound conversation today. Nikki talking to Victor about the consequences of his actions was really good dialogue IMHO. Even Stitch and Kelly were talking, although I thought it was pretty lame and boring exposition. I mean what really happend today other than groups of people having conversations. There was no action.

• Members

And like Y&R it is the same people in the same scenes discussing the same thing...I see why B&B is this way. But Y&R has so many characters that can give a POV. I liked Neil and Devon gossiping about Adam being the hit and run Driver. Matter of fact, why haven't we seen Lily and Devon gossiping about why Leslie won't set a date to marry Neil so we can see what their feelings on things are. This sets up interactions later.

On Y&R, it is just Jack and Victor going from place to place roaring at each other or about each other..."you hated Adam" "I loved Adam" Adam was my son" "No he was mine". This is on 4 times a week and I don't really care. I would rather hear Sharon tell Hilary about their feud than to see it.

• Members

Some of it was good. I did like Stitch and Kelly. They have good chemistry. And Leslie and Neil was the best because it meant something to the outcome of the show. I take it they won't be getting married.

But Sharon and Hilary didn't talk about anything. Unless I missed something, it just cut to their scene where Hilary told Sharon that Jack wasn't their and to watch out for her because she was conniving. Sharon said she was too. End of scene. That is not a conversation. There are so many things that they could have spoken about that would have built their friendship on something real.

• Members

I was referring more to the overall show and B&B is much better than Y&R (which isn't really a compliment to either show). Regardless of how many times things are repeated, people on B&B still get to talk about their issues with others. Even now, an episode synopsis would read like: Brooke tells Katie this. Donna tells Eric this. Ridge tells Rick that. Then Katie tells Bill this. Brooke tells Eric. Ridge then does something. It may be stale because the show is not well written but it still explores the characters and their issues, as shallow and superficial as they may be right now. It's a personal preference but I prefer this over a quick convo that is ONLY being done to serve the plot.

The difference is that the show is dealing with the climax to a story or two right now. Those are special circumstances. Otherwise, conversations take place only to further/serve the plot and, if they don't, they are either skipped over or thrown away in seconds.

I'm not saying they've completely ignored conversations because they haven't. That style is so ingrained and so necessary to the show's success that no HW has managed to completely ignore it without problems. But for a show that built EVERYTHING on dynamics & psychological exploration of its characters' actions, thoughts and motives we see almost none of that now.

Furthermore, it's HOW you do those convos/scenes & how you write in character and with each character's voice. I remember a few weeks back when Victoria barged into her house, grabbed two beers and sat, open-legged, in the living room with Billy, both of them drinking out of the bottle. I was scandalized. Victoria freaking Newman, born with a silver spoon in her mouth, businesswoman extraordinaire who would never even deign drink anything below wine sitting like white trash drinking beer--from the bottle? And Billy Abbott, private school in New York golden boy who as a teenager spent his vacations white water rafting and in Aspen, acting like a blue collar worker? I mean, they talked about their dramas at that point, but does it matter when those characters were Victoria and Billy in name only?

But you do have a point, however: No matter how limited conversations were on Y&R these past few years, it was nothing compared to the ABC style. ABC soap fans that were looking for another show to pick up must be struuuuuuugggggling to adapt to Y&R's style even though, I assure you, it's faster than it used to be.

laugh.pngwub.png

• Members

LMBO..scandalized that BIlly and Victoria were acting blue collar. Yep...that is because when Billy broke up with Chloe, he became blue collar all the way. I saw nothing of the Billy that was introduced with BM in those scenes. He was polished, dressed better, and had style when he first came on. Sadly, I think this was writers infusing the character with Billy Miller instead of it being Billy Abbot. From hair cut to clothes, conversational voice, and demeanor, it was Billy Miller.

• Members

It is an adjustment. But I like the difference. Every character is showing awareness of the Delia story. Almost every conversation includes at least a mention. It ties all the characters together. Sometimes it does seem like a lot of talking and very little movement. But I like the pace. It builds anticipation through laying a foundation. I hate GH's wave of the hand insta relationships and rapid fire editing. It just all seems so disjointed and disappointing. But I'm new to Y&R. Haven't watched in years. So I don't have expectations based on how the show used to be. And I swore I wasn't going to let the message boards influence my perceptions. That isn't working so well.

Archived