Y&R: February 2014 Discussion Thread

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally speaking (and dare I suggest it's not so much the point of contention) I find there is a natural or striking beauty in Amelia Heinle. What I think is up for debate, justly or unjustly, is how it's presented on a regular basis (hair, etc). As for the gap in her teeth, for every one person who finds it off putting, there is one person who believes it enhances beauty.

As a man, I find the double standard detailed above astounding. I'll compare it to the kind of misogyny that exists in the UK media. Our television news features men up to their 60's who probably wouldn't be considered pin-ups, whereas their female co-anchors generally are younger and prettier. Though I find the specific issue highlighted is less of a contentious issue over. It's written as a woman who has sex appeal that transcends generations. Denise and Fatboy in Eastenders, Tracy Barlow and Ryan Connor in Coronation Street, Sandy Roscoe and Dodger in Hollyoaks as 'heightened' examples.

As he has been directly referenced, I'll address the suggestion that a poster is trolling. Whilst I think he's just stating his opinions (aren't we all?) where I think the problems lie is the somewhat 'provocative' tone that can sometimes manifest itself. The 'last laugh, deal with it, nothing you can do about it, Ha Ha Ha' tone that can rub people the wrong way. I nearly didn't write this bit for fear of being dragged into something I have no care to be, but I just wanted to defend one poster's freedom to express his views whilst showing said poster where possibly some of these issues are coming from.

Oh, and I must be an odd cat, as I see the attraction in both AH and Heidi Montag. AND I still think Cynthia Watros is very appealing. Lol

• Members

I think AH has a unique face, and I like the small gap in her teeth [just like my dearly departed Sophie Deveraux on The Originals]. AH's hair is so hideous that I can't stand to see Victoria coming. I guess she's no longer a business woman, but now she just looks like the rebellious offspring of wealthy people. Victoria Newman should not be looking like this!

• Members

Well, that is a good thing. It's a soap and teens should be problems. So I don't see an issue there.

Crayon scene...they have been showing those kids alot lately. If I didn't know better and we had not already had Delia die a few months ago, I would predict one of those kids would be headed for soap heaven...I think one might get sick though. Maybe. The scenes are definitely throw away scenes. I assume the writers treat those kids like they do everything Winters and rarely write for them properly. There is a huge difference in how they use Faith than how they use Charlie and Maddie. Faith adds to the show when she is on...twins, not at all. Unsurprising though.

• Members

It's well known that I'm not a fan of AH, because her acting comes across as lazy - a lot. If it was a different role, I could probably accept it easier. (It's also tough because watching HT just kill it on B&B daily does prejudice me.) I decided that I'm going to cut her a break and see how she works with DT as well as SC - I've actually enjoyed their interaction. That being said, she is an attractive woman, especially since she is much lighter on the make-up than most. She even admits that the hair is a problem, so she's not oblivious. In many ways, she reminds me of CC and Mary Williams, but Mary was a middle-class mom, not a Newman heiress. In other words, while I'm not going to be a stan, I am going to be more kind to AH going forward.

• Members

Even on a soap a parent should be able to handle their kids though. Even when they are bratty teens. People often made fun of GH's Alexis for cowering like she was afraid ever time her teens would start.

Well the girl who plays Faith can probably handle a lot more dialog better too. She's also on some Disney show and I saw her on Instant Mom going up against Tia Mowry playing an obnoxious brat. I don't find these scenes of the kids making their art projects cute though. And if they can't really act I'd rather them not be given a lot of lines. That little girl who played Delia was annoying . And the children's triangle on GH has me watching less and less.

• Members

They don't have to be able to remember lots of dialogue to be used better. All I am saying is just have them significant to the story. There are plenty things they could do with them. They just don't do it.

Rebellious teens are a soap staple...I have yet to see one parent who could control their kid. Dru never cowered to Lily but she couldn't do a thing with that girl either. Neither Lauren or Michael cowered to Fen but he was one disrespectful brat whom they couldn't do a thing with.

• Members

Lily has her issues with Hilary, they could have them meet hilary one day while out with neil and think she is great. Have her rescue that dog Humphrey from peril. Then have them bragging about her heroics. Thereby fueling lily's jealousy. Simple things like that.

Archived