DOOL: Who's turn is it to be leading lady?

• Members

In my dreams, the show refocuses like Guiding Light did when Kim Zimmer left and creates a true ensemble show. They have already been using classic soap storytelling the last couple of years, they just need complete arcs for their characters.

Nobody would say Beverlee McKinsey was too old to take the lead or should be only in a supporting role. Deidre Hall is no McKinsey, but on DAYS she is even more important than Alexandra was.

The show needs some new characters woven in, but try to let Hope, Marlena, Maggie and Kate have stories or a big part in other stories.

I just keep thinking about GL. From Alexandra to Bridget the whole canvas had a part in making the show great. Why not all the characters in Salem?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Marlena is perfect both as lead and supporting. However, let's think about. Next to Alison Sweeney, who is the most recognizable actress and character on this show? It's Deidre Hall. I know people who have never watched DAYS but know who Marlena is lol. They are about to loose Alison and there is no one else who people know as well who could be the face of DAYS other then Deidre Hall who was the face for 3 decades, not even Kristian Alfonso. When written for, Deidre Hall will excel in whatever is given to her. I do agree that other actresses need to be groomed to take the lead, but I honestly would rather it be Kristian Alfonso because she has earned it. Put her and Deidre together in a long term story so that when Deidre is officially put out to pasture, at least Kristian will be a seamless transition or just give them both a front burner story.

But back to Deidre and Marlena, there are so many possibilities that they can explore with her. I still don't know much about her history and I've been watching this show for decades! Cast a big name to play her mother and make it an icy relationship, put her in Lauren Koslow's orbit and have them become enemies and spar back and forth, or make her and Nicole have a falling out. Make her and Maggie friends again and give her a confidant her own age. Get rid of Faux-man and bring back the original Roman and explore that history. Bring back a Belle so that she can have a daughter on screen to interact with. I know John is coming back but I am sorta over Jarlena right now (and I was the biggest Jarlena fan) but her not want anything to do with him as he tries to win her back. Put Stefano in her orbit again. The sky is the limit if the writers are interested in writing for her.

• Members

That's how I feel. I have never enjoyed Marlena as much as I have been during her most recent return which has seen her in a largely supporting capacity. She has excelled.

She could be in a lead storyline but it would have to be carefully considered to work. Even Susan Lucci wasn't immune to being in front burner storylines that were just plain stupid given her age. Jeanne Cooper is an example of how to age, in terms of storyline, in daytime (horrible rewrites of Katherine Chancellor aside).

I actually think worrying about a "leading lady" is beside the point and secondary to what the A storyline is going to be and as a consequence what the B storyline could be if the A storyline is based on 'upgrading' players in the B storyline.

DAYS is a star proof show. Enough big names have come and gone in the last decade to prove that. It's all about writing with this show and keeping the audience entertained, regardless of whose onscreen.

• Members

Making AZ/Nicole the leading lady would mangle her character again after they have spent a year rebuilding her. Some TPTB seem to think leading lady = heroine and that would destroy Nicole.

One would think Kate Mansi is being primed for the spot but she will bolt when her contract is done.

I like the ensemble cast concept personally. The show is so much more balanced these days so such a transition is easier anyway.

• Members

Nicole is currently being written as a heroine right now! I miss the scheming bitch that wrecked lives and caused trouble. They've had to change her character in order to make her viable with Eric as they do not work with her as a vixen. So now she's redeemed and a heroine and IMO, not as interesting as she used to be

Archived