B&B: January 2014 Discussion Thread

• Members

As I said in the status ticker, this show is entertaining me at the moment. I turned it on again out of curiosity and I mean - I've always been unable to stand B&B. The lack of consistency in any plots, characters, etc. beyond the same two or three notes, the endless repetitive triangles that seem to have gone on since I was in grade school, the token diversity hires. But I always understood and respected that it had a rock solid formula which worked for it - even though I feel it exists in a reality beamed in from another planet, it is a global smash and will probably be the last American network soap opera standing because of that. It does what it does, it speaks its own language and it makes no apologies. And people love it. I expect Europe and other parts of the world love it that much more because of that strange world and its weird rules.

That being said, as an untrained newbie, the reason it got me this week is because I turned it on and I saw sort of the building blocks of soap opera in the storytelling and the scripts with the foursome of Bill, Brooke, Zach Ridge and Katie. I thought all four of those actors did a hell of a job, I thought some of the dialogue was actually quite good - and I usually hate B&B dialogue whenever I tune in - and I thought there was sort of a weird poetry to it, how Brooke is always the same middle-aged sex addict she's always been, deluding herself about 'following her heart' and that's just the way it is.

I may be wrong, but I have to assume that the way it works is that B&B has the last of the Bill Bell imprimatur on soap operas - people following the same emotional or psychological patterns throughout their lives, with Bill the stallion marrying neurotic Katie, or Brooke the hedonist torn between Bill and Ridge. I've always seen repetition and schlock in the past, but there is obviously something deeply-rooted to it. And it's still got a lot of international money behind it, so the show looks great. There are still business stories, and Rena Sofer is fantastic. There's a lot of things I don't like, but for the moment this brisk half-hour soap with the sort of raw building blocks of the way soaps work - primal stuff - is interesting to me. Am I nuts?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I still say the next step should be either to make Katie a lesbian or bi-sexual. I would do a triangle with Karen and Dani and see how viewers respond. Maybe at first she could just become really close friends with one of them and create a "will they, won't they" scenario, or play with the idea of an emotional affair. Putting Katie with Ridge just puts me to sleep.

• Members

Katie is drawn to Dani as Dani struggles with "lesbian bed death."

In a confusing ad-lib that somehow makes it to air, Crystal Chappell mumbles, through a waxen visage, "I know who killed the bed! Kristian Alfonso!"

Crystal is quickly whisked off the show, and Dani is said to have gone to be on a long quest for funding of a remake of the classic lesbian cult film, Bar Girls.

Katie then sleeps with Wyatt because she learns she has hypoglycemia and needs comfort.

Archived