Aaliyah Biopic

Eric83

• Members
No African American with a long history in America is 100% black but it's close enough. When Zendaya has a chance at playing a white woman then we can talk. The fact that racially ambiguous bi racial or multi racial women are seen as candidates to play women who were of darker tone and identified as black is an issue.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Even though we are talking about 2 totally different leagues, Angela Bassett looks NOTHING like Tina Turner, and she smoked What's Love Got To Do With It. It all comes down to acting. Aaliyah is hardly an icon, and Zen should have been given a chance. But someone a bit more seasoned might be the best person for the job.

I can't wait to see what Yaya does with Whitney!

• Members

And what exactly do you define as black? Because didn't Aailiyah have some Native American in her? And there are plenty of people who identify as black but have many admixtures in them. Both my parents for an example.

I don't think Zendaya should've gotten the part either but I don't get the "full black" comments. And trying to tell that girl how she should identify.

• Members

STOP....COMING....FOR...AALIYAH

Maybe but Im not going to pretend and act like Im upset about this news. I wasnt vocal about Zendaya even though I disapproved bc I was willing to give her a chance. She's out so its a moot point. Im glad bc she is not whom I would have chosen at all.

You dont need to school me on whats black and what isnt. Blacks come in different forms and mixtures and Zendaya's mix is not what Aaliyah was and its very apparent. I dont care if its politicaly correct or not but Zendaya looks too light for the role and its bc she is half black and white which Aaliyah was not. You talk about Zoe Saldana as Nina Simone, well they'd have to put on makeup on Zendaya for her to accurately look the role and thats not a route I think many would want to see

• Members
Nobody is telling her how to identify. She is a bi racial girl Aaliyah was not. Would Zendaya be offered a white role because she's half white? No. I dont see why people are being painted to be villainous because they take issue with black roles being white washed with racially ambiguous actors to cater to whites. Aaliyah was not bi racial.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's all about skin tone. If the actress is light skinned, she's termed "bi-racial", if she's darker, she doesn't get that label, even if two different actresses have the same mixture in their genes. Hence the reason nobody ever calls Barack Obama Bi-racial. If he was 3 shades lighter, it would be a whole different story. I also agree that an actress playing someone in a biopic should resemble the subject in "type", meaning skin tone, body type, etc. I certainly would not want to see Gladys Knight portrayed by someone Bi-racial. But on the other hand, it's easier for a bi-racial actress to pull off Aaliyah than the example of Nina Simone, or someone like say... Miriam Makeba. Aaliyah had already "whitewashed" herself to a degree with her hairstyle and makeup choices, so perhaps casting didn't think it was that big of a leap. In any case, she's not a legendary figure, so a Vh-1 movie sounds like the perfect vehicle for her story.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

No need to run because I feel similarly.

Not that I have a problem with the overhyping of her post-death (as plenty mediocre white artists get gassed up to the heavens all the time), but having been her target audience during her time, I never once considered her to be the great singer, dancer, or burgeoning actress that many claim her to be. Fact is, Monica (my personal favorite of the 90s teenyboppers) was a far better singer and Brandy eclipsed her in popularity (and this is coming from someone who loathed Brandy during her heyday).

I'll give her credit for having a strong enough team behind her to navigate her career post-Chester the Molester, but had it not been for her being very personable to her fans, her memory wouldn't have been flickering as brightly to warranty any kind of movie.

Archived