Aaliyah Biopic

Eric83

• Members

http://uptownmagazine.com/2013/12/rumored-aaliyah-vh1-biopic/

Singer/Actress Aaliyah’s former manager and uncle Barry Hankerson released a series of mysterious tweets that unveiled news of an upcoming Aaliyah biopic to be produced by VH1.

“Merry Christmas #TeamAaliyah #VH1 “One in a million” The Aaliyah Story @VH1 sneak peek! Merry Christmas enjoy #2014 ,” Hankerson tweeted and included this image:

uptown-aaliyah-VH1-320x318.jpg

August 25, 2014 will mark the 13th anniversary of the singer’s death and others close to her in a Bahamas plane crash while shooting the Rock The Boat video. In another tweet Hankerson gave a release date of January 4, 2014, with another picture:

VH1 recently rebooted TLC’s career with a fictional account of their rise to fame CrazySexyCool that pulled in 4.5 million viewers on its first night. Could the station be vying to finally tell the story of the story of the 22-year-old whose life was cut short by her death in a plane crash?

While fans have shown an interest in an official film, her family and close collaborators have opposing views on releasing music and a film. Producers Missy Elliott and Timbaland have publicly acknowledged that they weren’t invited to participate on any new music from the star.

Aaliyah was signed to Barry Hankerson founded Blackground Records. Her debut album Age Ain’t Nothin But A Number produced by rumored boyfriend and then husband R. Kelly was the company’s first release. Over the years Blackground Records has received criticism about Hankerson’s business practices. Most notably Joanna “Jojo” Levesque, who is currently involved in a lawsuit to be released from her Blackground Records contract.

Keshia Chante, host of BET 106 & Park, cast some light on rumors that she would play the star in an upcoming film. Chante noted in 2011 that the Haughton family was still in mourning and she felt uncomfortable going against the family’s wishes. Aaliyah’s brother, Rashad Haughton, stated there is no official album being released and supported by the Haughton and “No female I’ve seen can play my sister.”

Aaliyah remains an iconic figure in the music community, often heard and quoted in today’s music from Drake and Chris Brown. While Drake and producing partner Noah “40″ Shebib released new single Enough Said and were reportedly at the helm of a new posthumous Aaliyah release, no new music has been heard since.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmmm... fishy. I wonder if it'll be any good.

It's still heartbreaking that she passed away. Such a lovely singer and a beauty. And she had just made a huge artistic leap with Aaliyah, delivering a great album right before she passed away.

• Members

Her death still upsets me when I think about it. More Than a Woman is my favorite single by her followed by 4 Page Letter, Try Again, One in a Million, and Age Ain't Nothin but a Number.

I wonder if they'll touch on how R. Kelly married her when she was underage and engaged in underage sex with her. :o

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've been on an Aaliyah kick lately for some reason. She was really ahead of her time in a lot of ways, and her material with Timbaland was probably the last time I enjoyed his producing work.

There was a certain class and maturity about her, even though she died at 22. She had a real grace and sincerity that you never really see from contemporary r&b/pop singers anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbA-uypNMYI

• 4 months later...

Archived