'From Our Family to Yours...'

• Members

I'm curious as to which soaps did this bit for the Christmas episode, which did not and why.

I remember GL doing this. Maybe ATWT also. Was it a CBS thing? Does it happen every year? I don't think Y&R has ever done it.

I'd really love to learn more about this and even see some footage. Today I'm in soap geek mode cool.png

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think most soaps probably had some kind of Christmas acknowledgement. If you mean specifically someone saying "from our family to yours..." rather than just a voice over, it probably started when announcers bit the dust. I can't remember if ATWT specifically said something, but they would usually run some Christmasy montage over the credits. GL for a while gathered all the cast and some family members for a Christmas greeting. That probably started in the late '80's.

• Members

I thought Dan Region did that in voice over for ATWT? Oh how I miss that man's voice as the credits roll.

"This is Dan Region inviting you to join us again at As the World Turns" and his holiday version, (especially X-mas) when he'd say, "This is Dan Region on behalf of the As the World Turns wishing you a happy holidays" over Christmas music.

Oh! *tears* This man should still be employed to do voiceovers on a soap if they still did roll freaking credits instead of those marginalized credits.

• Members

Maggie (Suzanne Rogers) delivered a version of this on this year's DAYS Xmas show, looking directly into the camera to wish viewers peace and love "all the days of our lives." It was quite a lovely moment and made me think of the wonderful Doug Watson holiday greetings from years past.

• Members

My first thoughts also went to Douglass Watson. He did for many years. I might be wrong but i think he also did it at Thanksgiving too.

I think it's called "breaking the fourth wall." I don't think One Life to Live or GH ever did it.

I think Mcdonald Carrey from Days did it occasionally but i'm not sure. It could have been Francis Reed or both.

Archived