Y&R: December 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I call it minimal because the scenes are never very long...yet she has minutes upon minutes with Jack and Jill. Hilary rarely interacts with cane and lily. Last week they saw her across the room...this week, lily said two syllables in passing. Yet beforehand, Hilary spent 95% of her airtime at the Abbot mansion. Just like today, she spent most if her airtime in the club with Jack watching Victor and Kyle across the room.

As for her scenes with Jack...All she does is whine about how lonely she is. There is no fire or personality shown in his presence. No spark at all. She only has fire with Jill or when she is getting smart with Devon or Mason. I like the Jack and Hilary relationship because it gives us a chance to see another side of her. It gives her a chance to explain where her head is...but Jack is a sap and he is turning her into a sap as well. JMO.

Of course Devon counts as a winters...he is a winters. However, my point is that she doesn't spend that much Time with him. So this notion that he, and cane and lily, are making her boring just doesn't hold water.

• Members

If they have a story together then doesn't that kinda make the scenes necessary. I mean really, isn't it an oxymoron to say scenes are unnecessary when they move a story forward. I only categorize scenes as unnecessary when they are a rehash of the same thing over and over again...characters discussing the same thing over and over. I.e., Chelsea and Chloe on Adam. They do that every other day. And it doesn't pertain to any story at all. Just random fluff talking. We get get. Chloe hates Adam. But hey, that's just my definition.

I agree that her scenes with Devon, albeit mostly short, are very important. They are building a romance after all *smug smile* But the point was that you said that Hilary spent too much time with the boring winters clan which in turn makes her boring. Untrue. She has little airtime with them...little being synonymous with minimal. If you are finding her boring to watch overall. I don't think those 30 seconds of airtime is the problem. How could it be when she had 10 minutes with Jack any given day she is on.

• Members

They should write Victoria out completely. She's coasted on that inane relationship for years. This character has no personality of her own, and Amelia Heinle cannot elevate the material.

If they recast down the line fine, but I think this character needs some time away for them to properly rebuild her.

With David Tom coming back as Billy and Billy/Victoria looking as good as dead, do they have any interest in Victoria as she's currently portrayed and written? I have doubts.

• Members
Thank goodness for that, b/c that was beyond ridiculous how they were shown on Wednesday all in the same scene, yet there was no real story. It literally felt like the show was just filling a quota. I agree there's more work that needs to be done regarding storytelling, but things really are better than when MAB was at the helm. It was literally the Adam and Phyllis show. I'm hoping we'll start seeing a better balance amongst the cast.

• Members

I'm beyond glad Villy is being dismantled. I don't care to go another year seeing Billy screwing up, Victoria forgiving him, rinse and repeat. Besides, with DT arriving in little over a month, its best to take Billy in a new direction. Looks like Victoria might get Stitch so its not the end of the world for her.

• Members

I agree. I actually believe she'll turnout to be Delia's Hit and Run driver. There's definitely something shady about her. I also question if she really lost a child. That kiss between her and Billy seemed like something she's been eager to do. I don't trust her.

• Members

This is so true. Because very little has been done with Devon over the years, thats why its so easy for so many to write him off as Dull and "Boring". All it takes is to finally give him a real story. Now I just hope they continue with building up his character.

• Members

I really liked Hilary when she first came on. She was different and she had some fire. She is being white washed and I am finding her rather boring lately. Anything with that twerp Devon is boring.

I think AH has got to go too. She is such a weak actress, she is like a big wet noodle. No screen presence at all.

• Members

I think she is decent but as someone else pointed out Victoria is NO character anymore as the writing has been terrible for 8 years and only an actress with extraordinary charisma and acting chops could make this travesty work. Victoria is nothing but a Billy annex anymore. They stripped her of everything else.That said, Amelia Heinle did some good work this year in thr afternath of that crappy hit and run story.

Speaking of crappy stories: just watching the Dec 23 show and they are arresting Fenmore one day prior to Xmas? Serously!? And the directing is sooo bad on this show. Even the location shoot in Malibu looked amateurish compared to what B&B is delivering on a daily basis. I also hate that either one of the producers or directors has told the woman on this show recently that the crying look is now the key for great acting: Melody THomas Scott and Tracey Bregman are overacting like never before in their careers... WTF is going on there - I could get why they find the material hammy but this is painful to watch.

The rest is very good and watchable, though. I expected much worse from this writing team. So far so good. E.g. I hated that fluff with Jill's music box originally but now I want this to last forever as it kinda corny but engaging - at least for me. LOL

Archived