GH50: October 2013 Discussion

• Members

This story just reeks of Carlivati. I admit, once it's been moving it's been, for me, entertaining, albeit frustrating, to watch. But the way the steps have all played out (ie the actual baby, that Britta has, is just now kidnapped by this amazing woman who can swim across the world undetected or something) really does seem like he's doing a parody of a soap opera. The man knows his soap tropes to a *t*. But, unlike much of the soap press, I don't think that's remotely the same as being an ingenious soap writer.

• Replies 796
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

moRon changes horses in the middle of 92% of his "stories", assuming he's inclined to even finish one. Britta has gone from loving Patty to telling him "HE'S NOT THE FATHER" and now there is no contact. Now, she's with Nik and the baby is with Dr. O? Please tell me why she needs that child? She can't taunt Robin with a child that's not Patty's. Of course, this is all because moRon realized he had too many women in Patty story, so Britta had to be removed.

When the time comes, Lante will have no more rights to Britta's baby than they do Spixie's, so why even go there?

I am enjoying the story that's between Lante and Spixie, however.

• Members

She didn't have a plan, she's said that herself. She just decided to keep Spinelli's baby, hand it to her friends and tell no one days after he rejected her for another woman. Optimum result: Maxie comes out looking like the best friend ever for carrying her friends' child and nobly martyrs her happiness in her own mind, and Spinelli never knows his own daughter after saying no to Maxie.

That's what she intended and there's no way anyone can tell me there was not an element, probably beneath her conscious thinking, of her being deeply resentful towards Spin for not choosing her. Why else do you deny a man his child, just to make your best friend happy?

I love Maxie as a character, but the fact is she comes out of this looking horrible to me in the last couple weeks. She made this happen, she did it to herself.

• Members

Amen! They had a right to know and Maxie "replacing" said child will never change this! I'm sure Lante would rather have mourned the loss of a week old fetus than the loss of a child that has been born!

Maxie took away their right to mourn their child with her foolishness.

• Members

Child, yes. Weeks old fetus? Didn't she decide they weren't children when she had an abortion? Which, btw, I agree with, so I'm not trying to be some closed minded moralist here. I don't see her reasoning in grieving over that when she has a baby in her arms, that Maxie seemed to have no intention of taking.

My issue here, is that I just don't think this is well written. I'm not trying to debate abortion, so much as disagree with the motives that Ron is giving these characters. I don't feel it's organic. I overlook so much on this show, but I just don't believe in anything any of these characters are doing or feeling right now.

If Ron wanted to have Dante and LuLu feeling so much betrayal then he should have written Maxie as trying to claim the baby. As it stands, they've lost nothing and I'm just not getting the outrage.

ETA: I'm not trying to say a anything about how real women (or men) in the real world should grieve over a miscarriage. I'm just talking about the logical inconsistency, I see in the writing for all of these characters. I'm not even on Maxie's side because I don't believe in her motivations or feelings either. I think this whole story is *&^% because the characters motivations are poorly written. I say that as someone who likes Cartini more than most here.

• Members

First of all, Lulu having an abortion when she was younger--or even a year ago--in no way denies her the right to mourn for the child that she lost.

Second, if a couple is going to parent a child that is not biologically theirs, then it is important that they first take time to mourn and grieve for the children they did not have.

Third, the situation that Maxie found herself in is fairly common, in some ways, with an obvious soap opera twist. Women who have promised a baby to another couple, one that is desperate to be parents and will likely not have another chance, often feel morally obligated to follow through with the adoption. The level of coercion is intense, and not reflective of the mother's true feelings. Once the papers are signed, the woman is left with empty arms and an empty heart (and often an adoption that quickly goes from open to closed).

I believe that all adoptions should take place under the following rules: no pre-birth matching; mandatory pre-placement counseling; a 45-day waiting period until the papers are signed (how can it be legitimate for a woman to sign when she is possibly drugged on pain killers, and certainly has hormones racing); the father is identified and given equal rights to object to the adoption; in front of a judge; after a judge has spoken to the prospective birth mother alone in chambers to verify that she has not been coerced; a 45-day period in which she can rescind; and with guarantees that promises of an open adoption are legally enforceable.

• Members

I know better than to attempt to convince you that you're mistaken about anything. I will say I do not believe Maxie in anyway intended to punish Spin or make him suffer. Any more than I believe Maxie wanted to hurt Lante. She never intended for anyone to know that the baby wasn't Lante's. And even when she began to feel connected to the baby, she never intended to tell the truth or take the baby from Lante. She was prepared to make that sacrifice to keep them from learning the truth. AND SO WAS SPIN. So while everything that has happened falls squarely on her shoulders, her intention was for everyone to be happy and have what they wanted. Spin would be with Ellie and happy with no ties to Maxie, which is what he said he wanted. Lante would have the baby they wanted. And none would be the wiser.

Archived