Y&R September Discussion

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As long as the romance is mostly new couples, sign me up. But I can not go another round with Lane, Villy, Victor/Nikki, Michael/Lauren, Neil and the next 4 AA women to come into the revolving door, Jack and a psycho, Sharon with anyone inappropriate, etc, etc, etc. I want something fresh. And she should start with characters that have never had real romances, haven't had one in years, or haven't had that epic. List: Devon, Abby, Summer, Paul, Fen, Kyle, Jill, Ester, Chloe, Noah. And please don't bore me with a romance between characters that we barely know with others that have no tie to the core (Dylan/Cheslea/Avery/Stitch should never share scenes alone. I refuse to watch that.)

Jack needs his adult children as leads on this show to keep him viable. IF I never see him in another romance I would be fine.

• Members

I liked Paul and Meg. But that is it...that is all that I can say that I enjoyed. Did she do the whole Carly with Holden cheating on Lily mess?

And what gets me about this is that they will want us to see Adam as a romantic love interest for Chelsea after this...who is writing this stuff? LOL.

• Members

I think people pining for the old y and r will be quite happy to see some of that restored with jean and shelly. The show has just been so boring and plots convuluted. What y and r needs is a massive umbrella story featuring most of the cast. Jean and Shelly should be given free reign of the show. I think part of jeans problems that ran at ATwt is she had a lot of interference.

• Members

Khan we have to have faith jean has been doing this a long time since 1992 she understands the form really well. She has been head writer of five shows. She has a history of being a more classic soap writer then some of the other head writers in the biz. I think we have to have faith in the process and hope we as y and r fans will be excited. I still am reeling over what Maria bell did to this show with her horrid writing.

• Members

And who was Josh Griffith? A newcomer to the genre?

Jean Passanante might have "a history of being a more classic soap writer," as you put it, but so does Agnes Nixon, and I wouldn't trust her to understand Y&R's peculiarities and nuances any more than I would Passanante/Altman. But I WOULD look forward to her coming aboard (or Nancy Curlee, or Claire Labine, or Ann Marcus, or Peggy O'Shea), because at least I'd know she'd do her best to tell a good story, even if it wasn't a quintessential "Y&R story."

OTOH, Passanante has been HW of several shows, and on each show, the bad stories she told outnumbered the good.

• Members

Labine has been out of the genre for a very long time. Khan every head writer has had there share of hits and misses. I think jean gets a lot of flack when she is far from the worst head writer out there. We could have dena higley. Jean has worked with Ron for two years at Gh helping great excitement umbrella stories. Y and r needs a huge umbrella exciting storyline with classic romance.

• Members

Paul and Meg were hot garbage to me. Boring. Forced. Whiny. The saccharine depiction of Meg killed the pairing. From looking at old episodes, Meg was never a goody-two-shoes. She had spunk and edge. Only towards the end did Meg gain some edge back.

And yes, JP was the one that did Holden/Carly, which was one of the FEW pairings under her helm I could get behind but she dropped the ball on it.

Jonnysbro,

And I'm sorry but JP is dreadful. She was horrid on Another World and World Turns and I'm banking she'll repeat on YR. As aforementioned, her track record sucks. Only way Jean will flourish is if she has a Kay Alden, Claire Labine, Nancy Curlee--some strong HW beside her to reign her in and help her grasp the concept of the show, a role I hope Shelly assists.

Archived