Y&R September Discussion

• Members

Nick has never really been interested in it either but they had him do it. And do you think they will shut him out of Victor's will in owning Newman (now CI)? I seriously doubt it.

Fact is that Kay told Devon she would leave him CI. And Devon may not have been interested in business before, but his grandmother's dying and her leaving him CI could have been the thing to change all that. I don't know why people try to pretend that these are real people and that their interest can not change. It's all written.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is laughable. I guess the show only need white characters...No people of color are needed (I see you didn't mention Neil in those secondary needed characters)? Please. The show doesn't need the Abbots or the Chancellors either. Proof of that being that no Chancellors have been on the show on a regular basis in almost 30 years (Kay only carried the name). How many times have there only been Jack that was left as the only Abbot on the show. Both he and Billy can go and I don't think the show would suffer (Both are tired or played out characters). The only character that this show actually needs is Victor Newman (who is also played out but his name is synonymous with the brand).

Say what you will about the Winters, but there is a reason that they keep them on. Just like their are many fans who watch this show specifically for the Newmans or Abbots, there are many people who watch this show for the Winters family, myself included. Without them, I would not bother. Quiet as it is kept, black people do like to see themselves in TV too. Although there are some that will watch anything. But then there are many who won't.

Precisely...

• Members

Of course you won't see one comment (except from me) that says that Devon should have gotten CI. These same people are up in arms that she left him money despite him being her grandson. Actually having Devon inherit CI and struggling to figure things out could have been good story for him...and he has Neil Winters as a father to mentor him. Yeah, that Neil Winters. The one who ran CI for almost 5 years. Those that say that Devon shouldn't have gotten CI are the same one who say that he doesn't deserve Kay's money...and they are saying it for the same reason. It doesn't fit their agenda.

As for Jill getting screwed. I love Jill. I truly do. But I am sorry, I don't see where the other woman should get anything from Kay. Granted they did love each other but it was a contentious relationship. I just don't think she should have gotten CI. It just wouldn't feel right to me. Sorry. The problem with this with Kay is that they writers didn't have the forethought to see this day coming and set it up. I think they tried with Tucker, but hiring JFP hindered that. She should have recast Tucker months ago....or brought Chance back and had him an actual businessman instead of a soldier...or instead of making Mac a do gooder, have her as a businesswoman. But Jill no. I think the right thing happened with her and the will. I agree that there is sexist writing (Victoria Newman writing children's book...yeah right!!!).

• Members

Go Jill...that clip was flawless.

Jill still have children on the show. She has Billy and her favorite son Cane mad.gif

I agree. They should have always had CI as a major player with employees and an office. But nope. It existed in name only. Neil was only hired there when they wanted to move him away from Victor Newman to give Michael Baldwin a place and story as his right hand man.

ITA that this show has plenty of sexist writing (Victoria as exhibit A). But let's not pretend like it doesn't have racist writing as well (Neil Winters still working for someone. Even this new clothing line must be under the Jabot umbrella).

IMO, there is room for companies other than Jabot and Newman. Fenmore's should get some new competition from some other family and spark a new rivalry. Let Fenmores and Jabot pair up against Newman and this new company. But for some reasons, the writers only want to focus on Jabot versus Newman. And I am tired of all things Newman and Abbot myself. I know people don't like newbies but they are a breath of fresh air.

Glad someone else sees this for what it is...

• Members

More interesting to whom? You? I would rather see Jill owning it and fighting to good fight in Kay's honor to keep it. Victor is not the only person capable of keeping Jack, the eternal loser, and Adam, the sociopath, from getting CI. Jill is more than qualified...and I do stand by not wanting her to have it but I could accept that more than Victor.

He might actually lose it to Jill. One can only hope though. Or give it to her as directed by Kay when the storm passes. But then that is just lazy writing. Ensuring that no one gets story but a Newman and an Abbot.

• Members

The complaint about Cane is that he is an imposter. People didn't have a problem with him when they thought he was P3. The problem only arose when he was outed but the writers chose to have Kay and Jill still up his butt after he had made a fool of them. Jill and Kay are many things, but weak, spineless, and accepting of anyone who had preyed upon them, they were NOT. Devon, on the other hand, everyone knows exactly who he is. It is not the same as Cane. But people will complain. Why? Because it doesn't fit their agenda. Young people inherit companies and money they are ill equipped to handle all the time. And the struggle to figure it out. That would have been a realistic and entertaining story (that I mean to people who are open to it goes without saying. Because let's be real. There are folks who will never accept it and call it and Devon boring no matter how he is written...mainly because it fits their agenda. Every soap watcher has favorites and agendas).

I actually think the idea that Jill is the only "deserving one" is a joke. She might be the only one capable on screen with any decent ties Kay...but that doesn't make her "deserving".

• Members

Exactly...no more than when Nick was barely out of college and The writers chose him to run it over Victoria, causing an incensed HT to jump ship. But that's fine though. Because his last name is Newman. It seems to me like family ties only matter when it is a Newman or Abbot.

Archived