Y&R September Discussion

• Members

Devon is a useless character that needed to be written off years ago along with Cane, Lily and most if not all new characters that are on the show. Y&R only needs the Newmans, Abbotts, Chancellors and secondary vet characters like Paul, Lauren, Michael. I can't stand how big the cast of Y&R is the show needs to get rid of half the cast

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you think Victor is always on the warpath now, just wait until he finds out that Adam has been sleeping with Nikki! Because you know that would be the only thing left to do with such a small cast.

Even though B&B releases actors left and right and has a relatively small cast, they still have to cycle in new characters every now and then.

After all, Brooke can't keep sleeping with the same people.

• Members

They made Devon a billionaire for gawds sakes, he can start up his own business & have plenty of power that's what he wanted. I haven't seen 1 comment saying Devon should of received CI. It has nothing to do with race, he's too young and inexperienced to head up Chancellor Industries, that would have been a big joke. Furthermore he's not associated with Katherine on-screen so he can't continue her legacy, or her family, if he's never been associated with any of them. And finally Chancellor Industries was now started by Gary Reynolds and built up by Phillip Chancellor , so what would that have to do with Devon continuing the bloodlines of the company? It's not really his history, it's the history of Mac, Brock, Phillip, Chance and Jill. Devon was part of he 3rd family who spent all of 5 minutes with her, and he cleaned up handsomely, I sure wouldn't complain.

The person who got screwed was Jill. She could, & has, run the company & she's the one who would have made sure it stayed in Kay's family because her family and Kay's were one in the same for 35 years ( until MAB).

The decision to give it to Victor is SEXIST, not racist. Genoa City lost it's only powerful female billionaire and she is replaced with an old man who is already rich & powerful. They wouldn't even allow Jill to be CEO, they gave the job to an inexperienced Cane simply because he was male..The corporate business scenes between Adam, Jack & Jack look like they are out of Saudi Arabia. I would have said Y&R resembled the Mad Men era but even they have female board members and executives who are in the game. Not one woman on the show has any desires or drive other than getting a man and having baby.

The only female beside 's Victoria (who will always be in the shadow of Victor) who had big career aspirations, and the experience to back it up, was Jill. Giving Victor CI means Jill has no reason to exist anymore. She has no contact with her kids, no love life, no career, and soon no home. I'm sure the Chancellor mansion set will soon disappear too since The Great Wall of Katherine at Chancellor Park has been substituted to preserve her memory.mad.gif

• Members

Yes, that's how I see it as well. It is interesting that the lone female character with independence, vast wealth, and real power, Katherine, has no heir apparent on the show (obviously, this SHOULD be Jill, but for whatever reason the character has faced assassination attempts for a solid decade). Instead, they give it to Victor, a boring choice that doesn't change the dynamic of the show at all.

It's true that they've basically removed any reason for Jill to exist on the show, unless they're somehow sending her on this Swiss journey to discover a secret trust that gives her control of CI or some fortune or some other form of power.

The sad thing is it didn't used to be this way, here's to you Jill Abbott, the only woman to go toe to toe with Victor and get the last word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chRmoI7DU8M

• Members

Jill was written as an equal to Jack and Victor for so long that the modern Jill has always been hard for me to swallow. People just don't understand how the business stories work on Y&R and characters like Jill and Katherine are too complex for people to understand. It's hard to watch that clip and see how Jill is now. She has no power and is written as a joke.

• Members

the way I see it is very simple why Kay left Victor her company she knew others in GC would try and take over her company just like Tucker did so she left it to the one person who always had her back and that's Victor.Jack and Adam proved Kay right when Adam with Jack in his ear tried to get the company which Victor already owned. Also remember Victor helped her get the company back from Tucker. So Kay was 100% right in leaving her company to Victor who by the way if it wasn't for his kids and Jack's meddling in the lawsuit would of never taken Newman public and still would own the company privately.

Kay is dead so it doesn't really matter to her who owns the company and it keeps Jill, Cane and others in her family from killing each other for the company. Let Victor go to war with her company against Jack and Adam but Kay's family won' t have to deal with that burden. as for Devon and Caner they can't even tie his own shoes without Neil and Lily so if they were left CI Jack and Adam would already own the company before the will reading was read. Victor getting Chancellor makes the most sense and it helps make storylines more interesting. I also stand by the fact that Devon is a useless character that adds nothing to the show and him owning CI would a joke. I just hope he takes his 2 billion and rides off into the sunset.

• Members

This does make sense. I guess I am just beyond tired of the Jack vs. Victor war. And you all know how I feel about ADAM...!

Devon and Lily and Cane are THE most boring characters I have ever endured.

I hope Jill finds something on her quest re: the jewelry box that makes her as relevant to the show as she should be.

Exactly!

Could not disagree more! I love Billy's "Billy". tongue.png

• Members

OK, I like AH as Victoria, but other than that, I totally agree with what you are saying. Prior to LML (and maybe even before that) the actors/actresses were, for lack of a better term, just letter perfect. They were classy and seemed to be so well suited to their characters. They just meshed with their characters. There didn't appear to be any separation between the actor/actress and the character - onscreen. The show now has a lot of actors/actresses who don't appear to me to BE their characters. I don't see as much cohesion. Maybe it's just me. Hope that makes sense.

ETA: Maybe it is just that many of the characters onscreen now just don't have as much depth as some of the veterans did when they first came on the show...

Archived