OLTL Shelved

• Members

If the shows have a beginning/middle/end like a story arc I'm cool with that if it is done in a way that makes sense. I just have the issue with the closed narrative form in general as I can't stand when it is used and then the previous material is ignored. I want a serialized story, and I don't want a situation where we get arc after arc of the same characters getting all the focus with the rest hiding in the shadows.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Couldn't agree more. I'm oddly almost jealous of those who disliked this OLTL because that would make this news so much easier to swallow. I never expected PP to get off the ground this time and when it did while i knew I'd watch out of loyalty and nostalgia, I certainly never expected the reboots to make me fall head over heels for the soap genre (and start posting here b/c I was just so excited to talk these shows) the way I did as a kid in the mid90s. OLTL had its issues & it's too bad b/c many ( rightly) zeroed in on those things and didn't see how many of the little things it got so unbelievably amazingly right. And on soaps the little things matter too. If this is the end, I'll miss THIS oltl not just the characters/show generally. I legit loved a lot of what they did and more sadly I felt like I was going to love a lot of what was coming. That makes it way sadder if its in fact done but I'm grateful to PP for bringing me back to my soap fan roots. Even though I never stopped watching, I feel like I rediscovered both shows this spring/summer. And that was an awesome gift.

• Members

And on the same token, let's not act like PP are soap messiahs. They can be criticized just like anyone/thing else! We hammer everyone so when PP gets their turn, no need to get our panties in a twist.

But I digress. KDP said they were given a week to remove their things at OLTL (when the PP deal initially fell thru) or they would be trashed. That came in an email.

• Members

It was a lousy way to find out but you're right that it's nothing new. Primetime actors often find out they're out of a job by reading about their shows' cancellation in the press. That said, PP should've done better by these folks. At some point, being a good employer is going to have to mean more than a catered omelet bar in the morning.

(BTW, PP, if you want to save money you might want to start with the catering budget. Stock the break room with high end vending machines complete with frozen food, fresh fruit and ice cream treats and arrange for various food trucks to visit for lunch. Leave the big time catering for the first and last day of shooting. You're welcome.)

• Members

The problem with Prospect Park is that they keep making these kind of PR mistakes. It's not what the choice is, but how they announce it. Had they said they were going to film the entire season of AMC, then OLTL without any gaps, I highly doubt people would've complained. Instead, they drop this news quietly in an article about something else with a non-soap publication. Then they go completely silent, after months of responding to fan emails and acting transparent. Plus the reason they gave is a lie. Even if the BS reason was true, had they said that they were filming the seasons back-to-back, that would still give them enough time to resolve the lawsuit.

People have no faith in Prospect Park because of the mistakes THEY keep making.

• Members

Hate to inform folks of this but the entire media enterprise operates in a 'sh*i*tty' manner. And Television is probably the worst of them all in how it functions. I once worked for a TV show--I won't get into any specifics-- but if I were, I could tell stories that would send a shiver up your spine.

This is nothing new.

And yes, it is bad.

The conflict is between the perception and the reality and how it interferes with expectations.

Maybe because neither AMC nor OLTL were my top shows, I treated this PP/TOLN experiment as such. I think the problem with trying to revive two soaps with such long legacies is that the expectations for most soaps fans are that once these shows return to production then that's where they'll stay for the foreseeable future. Whereas in Primetime, there are really no such expectations for longevity. Shows succeed, others fail. Fans get upset for awhile then they move on.

When you have shows that have existed for 30, 40, 50+ years, through good and bad times, it is a very different level of emotional attachment.

I think PP is working with a pseudo-primetime mindset but they are working with 2 very long running daytime entities. They really are two different mindsets.

Initially, it looked like PP was trying to change perceptions of the shows (remember the label 'Anytime Dramas'?) but sort of lingering within daytime standards and courting daytime fans. Straddling two mindsets.

For this reason and how the PP/TOLN experiment has struggled a bit, I could see other production entities be inspired to just create new shows, borrowing from the daytime format, rather than reviving old ones.

Archived