Oprah accuses Swiss Handbag shop of racism

alphanguy74

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can believe it, mainly because, Oprah's fame is mostly concentrated in North America, despite her success and fortunte and her talk show being distributed to other markets, she was never much of an international name or global icon. In other words, in most places outside of North America, most folks couldn't give two f.ucks who Oprah Winfrey is.

Though, obviously I don't condone this type of behaviour from the sales associate. Why would you refuse to sell something to someone if you have no idea what their bank account looks like?

• Members

Ridiculous. If you have a piece that is too expensive to sell, why have it in the shop to begin with? Bragging rights? Would she only be willing to take the bag down for recognizable heads of state? You don't know what the hell kind of money walks in and out of your shop just by looking at somebody. This is why Nija Battle opened her own salon. She worked in Manhattan fur retailers and saw the poor customer service black athletes and entertainers got by her co-workers who didn't know with whom they were dealing.

• Members

I'm assuming that a sales associate that lost a potential $38,000 sale is probably going to end up on the unemployment line, so the employee hurt herself more than Oprah. Racism has a funny way of being a boomerang sometimes.

• Members

Damn shame! Whether the person recognized Oprah or not isn't the problem here (I'm talking to you too, Oprah, who seems more offended that she wasn't recognized). First and foremost, a [!@#$%^&*] customer asked to see an item in the store, and they should not be refused! I went thru this at Marshall Fields. I asked to see a bottle of perfume, and the woman decided that I should look at the little toilette because what I had asked for was too expensive. That bitch was working off commission, yet she tells me that I can't afford something?! How did she come to that conclusion if it's not profiling/racism?! I demanded that kunt show me what I asked to see. Then I purshed it from another associate, a black one!

I remember Whitley went thru this on an eppy of ADW.

• Members

Years ago I worked in sales at a better mens clothing store dealing in strictly higher end labels, and because we were on commission we were taught to profile. It was nothing against any individual it is just 80% of all people who walk through the store will not make a purchase and you were destined for failure if you treated everyone equally. I still remember the sure fire way to profile men: Look at their feet. Most men don't care about good shoes and if a guy walks into that store with spiffy expensive shoes on you knew you had a victim. Its unrealistic for anyone in sales to approach everyone equally. When I was a waiter we learned groups of women would be difficult and would not tip as much as groups of men. Germans would not tip at all.

Obviously this salesperson picked the wrong person to make an assumption about, but if her assumption is right even 70% of the time she is doing ok because that means she is not letting a potential customer go while chasing someone who probably won't be buying.

• Members

Europeans, in general, rarely tip. They think its strange.

Plus, clerks at fancy, upscale boutiques in Switzerland, Italy and France are notoriously prickly. Unless its a sure sale, customer service isn't all that high of a priority.

• Members

Oh, those stereotypes.

I'm European and I know a lot of people – me included – who tip generously.

Oprah is barely known in Central Europe, but Kim Kardashian is even more unknown.

"Wir sind sehr billig"? That means "we are not worth much". I guess you meant "wir sind sehr sparsam".

Archived