Oprah accuses Swiss Handbag shop of racism

alphanguy74

• Members

I appreciated that Oprah said she wouldn't have paid that much for a bag after all on twitter. That being said stereotypically some German-speaking Swiss are very frugal, even if they have money like my cousin. When it comes to gratuities in some countries aren't tips built into the price of the service, so you aren't supposed to tip per local custom?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In Germany for example, prices in restaurants are quite expensive (excluding fast food joints like McDonalds, but we wouldn't call those a restaurant here). People don't eat out that much as people in the US, although that trend is slowly changing with small bistros that offer healthy and affordable menus popping up here and there in the larger cities. It's mostly the younger generation (university students) and hipsters that visits those places.

I eat out like once in two weeks.

Well, I'm sure there a lot of frugal people everywhere in the world. It's the same with generic stereotypes like "French people are rude", "Germans always sound angry", "Dutch people are always stoned" etc. For some people that might be true, but for the majority they are not.

There's a video on youtube called "How German sounds compared to other languages" on youtube, and it makes me so angry because they purposely pronounce the words like Hitler did (i.e. pronouncing every letter and syllable with stressed intonation). Even back then nobody except politicians spoke like this, and it amazes me that people still continue with these prejudices. Spoken German sounds nothing likes this because there are so many dialects and variations that every region sounds differently.

Sorry for my little rant, but when it comes to stereotypes, I'm a little oversensitive lol

Archived