AMC: Monday May 27, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's why I can't be TOO harsh about Eric Nelsen (nose jokes aside). He seems pretty fearless. He also seems the type who could make just about ANY material seem good. I only wish directors would work with him more in rehearsal to help him avoid his tendency to over-act.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Finally watched this...

I thought the JR/AJ scenes were well-written, especially AJ telling JR that he overheard Brooke and Adam doubting him. I wish we'd seen that phone conversation - did we?. The acting was not quite up to par, Bittle was under and Eric was over, but they did decently enough for the most part. I think they need to improve AJ's dialogue. It's very 1985 teen movie.

I like seeing Bianca and Miranda have feelings and concerns, and hurts, but try to work things out as mother and daughter. I still think Miranda is too dismissive of Bianca's pain, but overall I like the relationship.

I still don't want to see most of the Cassandra story but I did see the last scene, where the new girl was trying to comfort her, as she'd once tried to comfort other broken girls. Good, stomach-churning writing.

They're treading a fine line with Zach, because they sometimes write him as the sleaze that a tough woman can't help liking, as he truly knows who she is, he's just being "real" etc. That's not acceptable writing for 2013, even if it is the standard in most soaps and other genres. I think Paula Garces is doing OK, and I actually thought Thorsten Kaye was terrific in this episode. I've never been much of a fan of Kaye's, but I've always thought Zach was his best role, and sometimes he really impresses me with the depth and sense of loss under the sexist pig surface. Now I just need the writing to say that Lea is not a dove who will be wooed by the hurt bad boy who routinely degrades her.

I really liked the David/Joe scene. David was so open with Joe and you could tell that Joe shutting him down truly did wound him. This is where I truly appreciate the absence of those assholes Jake and Tad, because when David blew up at Joe, I actually felt a little sorry for both men, instead of seeing Joe as part of a gang of sanctimony and sucker punches.

I liked the Joe/Cara scene, what we saw, but that old school melodramatic sobbing is...wow. JER lives on.

I'm so happy Dixie got out of the red blazer and red lipstick, but she was wearing AJ's top. Weird.

• Members

OK, I haven't seen this episode (I've been really busy and also sick, so I really need to catch up), but regarding the Colby discussion:

I liked Ambyr Childers the best of the "bad" Colbys. She started out a bit green, but really improved by the end of her run and I was a surprised she was let go.

Brianne Moncrief annoyed the HELL out of me and I thought her acting was weak. Is it just me, or did she always look like she was smelling a fart? UGH.

Natalie Hall was alright, but I agree with the poster who said she was sort of just... "there".

I hope the new actress is good.

• Members

Wasn't it Ambyr who was let go amongst rumours of either not wanting to have romantic scenes with a black, or gay, or gay and black actor? (Who could have been the Senator's son--I think?) Of course who knows if that's true, and most of that teen scene seemed to be let go when (I believe) Pratt replaced B/E, but...

(I could be completely wrong about which actress played when...)

• Members

It was Childers and supposedly she didn't want to do scenes with Frankie/CSJ. They were teasing that Colby was developing a crush on Frankie after they had been kidnapped and it was then that Nelson dropped that an AMC actor was being replaced because they were a bigot who complained about working with gay people and minorities.

Archived