AMC: Monday May 27, 2013 Episode Discussion

• Members

The thing is, they dropped the whole Frankie/Colby thing period after firing Childers. They kissed - with Childers in the role - and then she was gone, and Brianne Moncrief was on the scene and the whole storyline was gone as well. So it can't have been that simple.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

EN overacted big time in this episode, which is a shame, because he put in some good, consistent work for the most part up until this point. This ep kinda reminded me of the stuff I saw on his reel where he really played up the "I'm a young male actor playing an angsty teenager, listen to how desperate and hardcore I sound!" angle. Hopefully he gets back into his groove. He's really best when working with Denyse, who's a joy in every scene. Go 'head, Jennifer!

LOVE the fact that 85-year-old Ray MacDonnell is strutting around PV Hospital and throwing shade like the boss of this corporation. We're so fortunate to not only have him but also have him as good as he's ever been. I'm easily bored by the Martins vs. David narrative, but the pain in David's eyes -- that constant reminder that he'll never win with these people -- was so real and palpable. I really can't stand Cara's lying ass, but I liked Joe comforting her, and I'm liking her and JR.

Uri's zero article use per episode is GIVING ME LIFE. Whenever I watch episode and he uses linguistic device, it makes me jizz pants. This story is terrifying, though, and I'm gonna need for Cass to break free soon! The image of the girls lying around like potheads in that room makes me feel uneasy in the stomach.

Dirty, stinky, fonky, sloppy, smelly, cheesy, nasty, hairy, sour, raunchy, cabbage-smelling Zach is grossing me out in the worst way, and if Lea is turned on by his stanky ass, then I'ma need for her to seek self-esteem training.

This episode wasn't as good as the ones immediately preceding it. Too many holes are being exposed (Vee, if you mention EN's ass...) in the fabric of the storylines they're trying to tell, and it's taking me out of it a little bit, but I'm still very interested in what's going on.

• Members

I often wonder how much time today's actors get to spend in rehearsal with a director. Now that everything's so fast paced, I wonder even more.

I saw that PBS documentary (well, parts) about the Daytime Soaps and was struck by that rehearsal scene with Susan Lucci and (don't know the name of the other actor, sorry) and was struck by how much akin to a theater production rehearsal it was. And it made me wonder do today's actors get the benefit of such hands on rehearsal with a director?

Chris Goutman was known for a few things in soaps but being sufficiently hands on (in a positive way) with actors was not one of them.

Just makes me wonder how much time in rehearsal these actors, especially the newbies, get with a director.

• Members

I thought Goutman had a strong reputation with working with actors *as a director* (not as an EP :P ) He certainly built up a very strong rep in the late 80s and the 90s from it.

Many of the actors when the PP soaps started commented that in the last few years at ABC, due to budget, they actually had NO rehearsal--just a blocking one and then being filmed, and now they were getting rehearsal time. WHile they still have pretty busy schedules for filming and I doubt the rehearsal time is much, I believe that.

Incidentally when the soaps went to an hour--at least AMC, a number of actors and producers complained that the main loss was cutting rehearsal time at least in half.

• Members

Yeah, his reputation as an EP was the worst, now that I think about it.

Is he the only director for AMC? Maybe it is time and budget but I guess we'll see if getting more rehearsal time makes the difference with some of the newer actors, I guess.

Interesting tidbit about longer episodes cutting down on rehearsal time. I guess with television, that's the nature of the beast. Long hours, short rehearsal time.

• Members

DD so far I think he's done nearly all of the location shooting (they probably did much of it at the same time) but I'm not sure about the other normal scenes (as you probably know, when there's location scenes often it gets a separate directing credit in the opening.)

To be honest the main reason so many actors were against the move from 30 to 60 minutes was not rehearsal time but simply that it meant before they would go in at 6:30 or so and be done by 4. With the hour shows often that could stretch much longer (especdially back when they still shot in show order, I'd imagine.) All Her Children talks about how much Nixon and the actors didn't wanna move to an hour (they did anyway of course) but many of the actors did bail, which is why they had to add so many new characters (also to fill the time). I'm sure that happened to some extent on other shows.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Im really late to the convo :-P Hope i dont get into trouble for this.

Was in the mood for AMC so I started picking up today!

CM looks so much younger with longer hair,she looks great.

Love love love Cara and JR. I really hope they get paired up.

I also really liked the Joe and Cara scenes. It's nice having Joe around.

For the first time ever, Im liking Zach! Leah is so boring and basic, but she improved towards the end.

The Cassandra is so dark and graphic for a soap and i love it! Loved the other girl comforting her.

Miranda and AJ are both so annoying. Omg, the guy who plays AJ overacts so much. And Miranda just acts like a brat. Don't compare her to my Erica Kane.

GREAT episode!

• Members

Why do you keep calling me a girl Nate icon1.gif ;'(

And LOL @ you calling her rude and boring. She so was. And Kendall was not! Still disgusted by Zach comparing her to Kendall when she was NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE to her level! Get out! Girl was nothing but a stiff placeholder 'til Kendall got back.

Ugh, I just despised Zach in this reboot. Still not over him going dumpster diving and then hugging Bianca in the next ep after he got out. Loser

PS can I steal your signature when you're done?! thz

Me too, I love reading the thoughts & just seeing these threads back up here to reminisce on ;'-)

Archived