FX Canada drops AMC/OLTL!?!?!?

• Members

Completely agree. I don't think it really makes any sense--and I think you're right they probably felt shafted because obviously they did want to fill in their daytime programming--which currently has zero original programming (or anything to distinguish it as the return to 30 Rock reruns shows.) It still though seems really odd to me that they obviously could not be faulted for their advertising commitment, etc, and then to yank it SO suddenly--unless FX can now sue or something to get the rest of their money back, I can't imagine they had such a sudden out clause after just three weeks.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It depends on your package and cable provider. Where I am, FX Canada (non HD) was part of the fairly standard basic cable package. However, I did upgrade my HD to a package that included FXCanada HD--but I was planning on doing so already to get AMC, HBO and some others in HD (and I really can't complain--because of my living situation this year--essentially looking after my mother's house while she's living with her new husband in another city and having them come and visit a weekend each month--simply stated he has no money worries and he wanted us to have the full HD package.) However, I do sorta resent paying for iTunes when it's not HD (I can watch them on my TV though, or on my phone which while not ideal for me is something that can make my long bus rides to and from work a bit better.)

All 15 episodes of both AMC and OLTL are on iTunes Canada already, but today's episode of AMC still isn't up... It doesn't seem a high priority, blah. (though I admit with no new episode of AMC tomorrow I'm in less of a rush to watch it for whatever reason--as others have said the new programming format of less episodes if anything seems to kinda encourage more of a n attitude of waiting and watching, at least for me.)

PP's statement is interesting if not too informative. It kinda sounds like (to me) FX Canada were game, but when this happened they just got discouraged, cut their losses instead of trying to go through the work of a new deal.

• Members

It does seem a little extreme, although if I had the money I might do that too (but only if I saw it saw an investment in other tv I would want to watch too.) I can see changing your package (I think mine is now only 10 dollars more a month--and again it's not my money) for sure, but, yeah a complete upgrade...

• Members

I'm with both of you. Unless it means getting a boatload of new channels and shows I'm just DYING to watch, I couldn't justify doing the pricey upgrade. I'd just have to keep abreast of the show(s) through websites and magazines.

Same. It's almost as if having less episodes would make me MORE of a binge viewer, if that makes any sense.

• Members

You guys are making me feel stupid! My cable package had both the standard and HD FX channel. Unfortunately, my DVR was about 5 years old and it did not support recording the high def MP4 (I think that's what they called it) of the high def FX channel. I wanted the shows in high def, dammit, so I went and bought the newest and latest DVR so I could record them!

The good news is that now I have the latest technology (for the next 5 minutes) and I suppose I was due for an upgrade anyway. The new machine is actually pretty cool with many more features than my old one. I have no regrets. wink.png

• Members

You know, I'm sure if enough people complain, one of those cable companies up in "Canuckia" are liable to offer subscribers some sort of compensation, whether the freedom to revert to their former package free of charge (for a limited time), or a percentage off their next bill, or something.

• Members

TVGN, though, is owned by Lions Gate Entertainment and CBS Television, so I could see them not airing AMC and OLTL. If anything, I think they're more likely to pick up same-day reruns of B&B and Y&R because they are CBS soaps.

• Members

Well after an iffy start with Monday's AMC being uploaded to iTunes Canada so late, I've managed to get the other episodes by 2am Pacific time the day of... I have to say, when watching via my laptop plugged into my 50" TV with an HDMI cable the quality looks pretty great--not as good as the FX HD, but much better than the times I watched on the non HD FX channel. Still not super pleased with the situation, but I can live, and I don't really mind blowing 10 bucks for 20 episodes of both shows. I'd be curious to see how they are selling for Canadians in general.

Archived