AMC: Monday, May 13, 2013 Discussion Thread

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally I'd say no. The show reminds me of the same ABC AMC of the last 10 years which had moments of greatness, but couldn't completely pull things together. The execution of the show is just not good. I understand production was rushed, but wouldn't the writers be writing at the same time as the OLTL writing staff?

I also think they did a terrible job of assembling a cast that makes sense. There are lots of good characters, but so many gaps that should be filled. It makes it seem like many of them are floating around with no purpose. There also isn't a good enough balance between generations. Only time will tell, but so far I'm not impressed. I feel like I'm watching 4 different shows and these young actors (Petey, Cassandra, Celia, even Miranda and AJ) aren't strong enough to do everything. I need the adults to have actual lives.

I also HATE the writing for David so far. The show opens with us learning his third child is dead (which he's being blamed for) and then his fourth child he's being told is dead. This type of storyline, along with the endless back from the dead and baby switches is why soaps were dying. I just don't understand the purpose in launching with such an unoriginal story, and one so repetitive.

• Members

I think part of the reason that the show reminds you of ABC's AMC is because most of the script writers and script editor were writing the show then, sadly the ones on this show were the weakest writers of the ABC version. Today was the best episode thus far, and I think that was because the script writer was script writer on GL in the 80's and early 90s. I kind of wish the show had incorporated new blood (script writer wise/breakdown writer-wise) since it has done a world of good thus far over at OLTL.

I do agree with you so far on the logic of the cast. I don't understand why they didn't get Scott and Madison back at least.. since that would have helped fill in the 20/30 something gap, plus have them interact with Pete and then the writers could have placed Celia in the AJ/Miranda grouping. Plus, I'd love to see Brooke and Opal in scenes that don't revolve around Pete/Celia. For pete's sake, Brooke is running Chandler.. certainly they can involve her in some business stories, and I'd love to know what Opal is up to? I love that they have a coffee shop, but I think they could have built a Glamorama set as well (Opal revives it again) and would be a good place for the women to interact with one another.

I like how they are writing David so far, he is like a Greek character. Tragic with fleets of happiness.

• Members

I awnt to see Scott again. Im shocked he hasnt been mentioned yet. When Adam was going on about how JR nearly destroyed Chandler, I was waiting to hear his fate and if he is still involved with the company or not. Im also shocked we havent heard about Stuart especially considering the his return was one of the last big shocks of the show's final days

• Members

Also, am I the only one who thought they were hinting at something with Griffin and Dixie for a minute today?

I like Scott, I do, but him and Madison together were basically just nice people being nice. That's not necessarily very conducive to drama. I would like to see him visit, and I liked Cosgrove in the role but I am honestly not sure he is anything more than an actual, physical harbinger of death to soaps now so maybe we might want to recast.

I would definitely like Stuart. And Marian. And Liza, if Colby is back. Give me Jamie Luner, I liked her a lot in the role by the end. She sold a lot of visceral neuroses and self-loathing about her past that Marcy Walker hadn't been in touch with in years.

• Members

Yeah I agree with that. I feel they've gotten it all wrong with Petey and the show is missing that late 20s-30s age range so he feels isolated. What if viewers absolutely hate Petey and Celia? Then who does he interact with? And Jane is another character that seems so isolated, as is Bianca.

• Members

the late 20s/30s crowd is a mess considering its barely non-existant. Such a shame as that tends to be my favorite age group. I feel the same on OLTL, but they at least seem to have more representation. I hope both are expanded on by the end of the year

• Members

Jane isn't supposed to be a showcased character at the moment. Which is fine. Her purpose will likely reveal itself in time.

Pete I like fine. Celia I go back and forth with, but I like her story, and I think their last day together was their best. I think bringing in Colby will really help. But I want to see more of Pete as Pete.

I just don't see a huge mess, myself. I see a show totally rebuilding itself almost from the ground up and doing a good job. OLTL had more to work with and a firmer foundation. But I think AMC, for its different tone and focus, is quite good. I want it to be different, and it feels fresh and clean. They both do, but AMC has the lighter tone and feels brighter.

• Members

Nope, thought the exact same thing.... I saw some of you discussing a Dixie on meds storyline earlier.... I think Cady would do well with that... and Griffin could help her through that as a doctor, and a hot piece of ass to boot.

Archived