AMC: Monday, May 6th Discussion

• Members
in theory IA with you but with a shorter show, less airtime and a limited cast, I think they should invest in characters than can serve multiple purposes/roles. One with ties fulfills this than just a random newbie.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not to pick on AMCHistory--but I believe that's exactly what they said...

Thanks for the explanation--I see your point somewhat (though I think the youth dialogue has been better this week--after two episodes anyway--than last.) I will say as much as I seem to fight most points with you, I actually, perhaps oddly, look forward to reading your reviews.

• Members

I stand by my statement. I would have rather saw Krystal and the BJ's set back over a newbie like Jane. I think that Cheap hit it on the head, this is a short-show, I would rather a character be able to fit more than just one role a be more than just a glorified extra.

Even Myrtle was more than just a "listening ear" at her inception. She was Kelly's surrogate mother. She was Lincoln's surrogate mother. She was a thorn in Langley and Phoebe's side. Her days as the town Sage came around much later. They played up her relationship to the Tyler family throught the 80's until the majority fell off the canvas.

• Members

Myrtle was a lot of things. Enemy to Phoebe, surrogate mother to Erica, town feminist, business owner, voice of reason, etc... my point is that she was allowed to grow into all those roles. The fact that Jane isn't on the frontburner right now isn't a drawback. It's good. We get to slowly watch her develop relationships with the people of PV so that when she finally does come to the forefront it will make sense. I'd rather watch Jane become important to the canvas than be handed a character like Lanie and told that she's important because of her pedigree. It's the CJ Holden Syndrome all over again.

• Members

I guess I have two arguments--though I see your point. One is, that I would hope this show would never become the incestuous romp that B&B is. Check out the original AMC cast--there are a few contract actors (and Jane's not contract) who went nowhere and seemed to just be nurses, etc. I don't know if that's a bad thing at all.

But my second point is I suspect Jane does have a key function in the show and we just haven't seen it yet.

• Members

Well, they did intend to bring him back at least once or twice in the last ten years. But yes, when everyone these days (or in the last five years) assumes any white male under 40 coming to OLTL is C.J. - I just don't think that's going to happen. (And his name is Roberts.)

Archived