AMC: Monday, May 6th Discussion

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Which examples were written better? I get your point, though I think it's too soon to feel that way, IMHO. She was angry and speaking without thinking, I didn't think her impression was that she knew everything about Bianca's coming out.

The whole school is bullying Miranda? I missed that. What I've seen is one or two people sent mean facebook messages, and now Hunter a popular guy she likes basically set her up--or at least completely didn't see her for who she was, and his friends were with him on it. IMHO that's vastly different, and pretty realistic for that age range.

Which examples were written better? I get your point, though I think it's too soon to feel that way, IMHO. She was angry and speaking without thinking, I didn't think her impression was that she knew everything about Bianca's coming out.

The whole school is bullying Miranda? I missed that. What I've seen is one or two people sent mean facebook messages, and now Hunter a popular guy she likes basically set her up--or at least completely didn't see her for who she was, and his friends were with him on it. IMHO that's vastly different, and pretty realistic for that age range.

Ha I remember how much that story freaked me out as a kid. I think people popping up in mirrors always freaks me out... *Starts talking to Janet in the mirror*

• Members

I'm a guy, Eric! LOL.

You're right, "dire" is too exaggerated, as is my saying the whole school is against Miranda ... I think Miranda's style of making everything seem so horrible for her was rubbing off on me, not that that's an excuse. Also, yes, it's still early days for the story.

I do still think David/Angie was the only good story in the episode though, and perhaps in the show overall so far right now. I also continue to have concerns about the young actors.

Some of the youth rebellion stories on other soaps I'm thinking of that I felt were written fairly well, with layers, were

- Parker on ATWT when he was sure he and Liberty knew what they were doing even though they were too young, lashing out at Carly's mistakes but also feeling bad for her as a kind of single mother too;

- Ben Jorgensen's Chris Hughes on ATWT when he was aimless and not sure what he wanted to do with his life but not written or portrayed as overboard "bad boy" like his successor Paul Korver (although I will add Ben Jorgensen was not well-received by more established ATWT fans);

- Lucky attacking Nikolas on GH when Nik first came on and being pissed at/talking back to his mom in 1996, but also realizing when he had gone too far;

- Rafe on GL being upset about his mother and Olivia being a couple, feeling lied to by his mom, with subtle scenes with Father Ray, Ashlee (who had also recently found out her mom was a lesbian), and Daisy;

- Marah on GL seeing mobster Tony Santos, to the chagrin of her parents, and torn between well-developed, three-dimensional Clare Labine characters Sam Spencer and Tony;

- stuff on OLTL so far with Dani, Jack, and Matthew.

All of these stories were enacted by better actors than I feel the new AMC twentysomethings playing teens have been so far. There was also more intersection with the established, core characters. A lot of this is stuff that is brought to the story by dialogue too and not necessarily the stories themselves or the acting, though. I'm glad AMC kept many of the same dialogue writers, but for some reason, as I believe Darn stated, the dialogue they are writing for the younger characters seems "stilted." Celia's from another country/from another planet-style, blunt dialogue about rules and wanting to live her life is perhaps the most egregious example.

• Members
she could have easily been an old character and be utilized with actual ties to the canvas/characters. I don't mind her but she does seem very random at this point. She's like serving the Krystal role but without the added benefit of having any core connections to friends/families.

• Members

Agreed! Why introduce a heavily supporting character if they serve no other purpose but to pour coffee? Krystal was not just another barista. Rose Kelly on GH, was not just a waiter. These characters who run the local hang-out have the opportunity to be in a lot of scenes, and act as a listening ear/ sound board for characters. I would rater her screen time be given to another existing character with connections, a history, and relationships.

• Members

The show needs new characters. Not everyone on the canvas needs to be tied to everyone else. Jane is serving a purpose very similar to the one Myrtle used to serve with the boutique and/or boarding house. She's the show's bartender and I'm glad she's not everybody's ex-wife, long lost mother, babystealing skank, murderer of so-and-so evil twin. The point of introducing new characters is so we can watch them develop relationships.

• Members

I like the fact that Jane has a clean slate, too. I still suspect she might end up as a love interest for Bianca, but even if she isn't, she must have a past that we'll eventually get to learn more about.

• Members
old characters can serve that purpose also. I suggested before that it could have been a good idea had they brought back Lanie and fit her into Jane's role. Considering she's been gone over 20 years, she'd be close to a blank slate and there are plenty of new relationships to watch develop. She however has the benefit of being Dixie's sister so that's one strong angle to fit her into her corner as a supporting player and confidante. Plus she has a tie to AJ as his grand-aunt.

• Members

Very well-written critique of the show, though I don't agree with all that you've written. I know you love DAYS, and AMC is the complete opposite of DAYS. Perhaps AMC is not your soap.

Nothing wrong with preferring one soap over another, it's been like that for soap viewers since soap operas were created so no biggie.

• Members

Everything you've cited is exactly what I think these shows need to avoid. This soap fetish (I'm referring to the genre, not you) that every character on the canvas has to be tied by blood to the almighty core makes these shows closed off and incestuous. It also kills the possibility for diversity and I'm not referring just to racial diversity, I mean the diversity of the types of stories that can be told. When all of your characters come from the same primordial sea of two or three families with all those shared experiences you kill off the drama that comes from different kinds of people with different experiences bouncing off of each other and end up with a canvas full of people who all remember summers in Pigeon Hollow.

Archived