OLTL: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is what I was looking forward to:

To me that whole setup - starting with us seeing them drinking shots together in the last trailer, something soaps have not dared to show their youth characters really doing and being human in years - is very relatable and current. It's what young people that age do, what they've always done; they huddle up together, form social pacts, then slowly start to coalesce within that group, they mate, break apart, !@#$%^&*] and counter-!@#$%^&*], struggling to negotiate their friendships, sexualities, etc. That's the human condition and you can see that in everything from Truffaut to more contemporary drama. There's a reason we've all been saying that film and other TV has had it all over soaps in portraying youth for years. It's because nobody really drinks, [!@#$%^&*], or otherwise orbits their friends/lovers in that certain way real young people do on soaps. They came close to depicting some stuff like that with Marty, etc. in the early '90s, but this just sounds like a very simple but elegant setup for timeless yet contemporary drama to me.

• Members

No, I don't think so. Let's see...

Mimi

Pat (Ashley, Jacquie Courtney's character)

Delila

Becky Lee

Georgina (Whitman, Ilene Kristen's first character)

Didi

Sarah

Alex

Cassie

Nora

Lindsay

Melanie

Gabrielle

Paige

That makes fourteen. So, if anything, I think I overestimated his charm. :)

• Members

The more I think about the setup with Dani, Jeffrey and Matthew, the more I must give credit to OLTL for attempting more realism there. Chances are, if this still were on ABC, each character would be living in his or her own penthouse, and running a multi-billion-dollar corporation. (Well, two of 'em would. Jeffrey would be lucky to live in the converted loft above his bartending job at Rodi's.)

Archived