AMC: The Prospect Park Era (old production thread)

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So you didn't watch, is the answer. Then don't tell me how many kids they need to add. The show was clogged with too many fuckin' kids for the last years before it went off the air. It doesn't need them all rushing back, and it certainly doesn't need another [!@#$%^&*] Lavery.

• Members

That could be interesting. Wouldn't Brooke have recognized her already? At the same time, I'm a little wary of the notion that everyone must be connected to something in the history.

The first Emma was so very adorable but I feel the same. I remember finding it hilariously convenient that Ryan was her bio dad.

• Members

Agreed. If they brought back all the children from the 2010-2011 era and had them as teens, they'd still have to bring in some new teen character to have more than one or two pairings that aren't incestuous or just plain weird. Kathy and Jenny are related by blood to AJ. Spike, Ian and Gabby are all related by blood to Miranda. Spike and Emma are related by blood. They NEED new characters - teens and adults both - who are NOT related to everyone else on the canvas! AJ was related to almost everyone on the show either by birth or marriage when it ended in 2011. You have branch out.

You can 'connect' new characters to existing ones without making them blood relatives to existing characters. David Hayward showed up in Pine Valley to pursue his old girlfriend Allie Doyle, who was dating Jake Martin. David didn't have a family at all until 1999. Dimitri Marick was completely new when he found Natalie in a well, although the writers tried to throw in a few remarks here and there to make it sound as if his family had been around for a while - Phoebe mentioned the wonderful parties the Maricks used to host at Wildwind once. Still he didn't have any family until Angelique was wheeled out and it was revealed Edmund was his brother. Alex Devane was married to a supposedly dead Dimitri, but she was 'connected' to David by virtue of having known him during a residency in London when they worked together and he dated her roommate. Not everyone has to be a long-lost child or grandchild of an existing or former character!

• Members

"You can 'connect' new characters to existing ones without making them blood relatives to existing characters."

Exactly. I know Cassadine didn't mean to imply this--but it's a very Carlivanti way of writing a soap when every new character has to have a blood tie to the canvas, and ultimately is destructive (of course we won't even get into how well Carlivanti does with actually writing those stories, which seem endless and usually involve half the cast of his shows being a potential father/mother.) Soaps have to be incestuous by nature, to a degree, but how often do you meet a new person who turns out to be the third cousin of your best friend?

• Members

I think AMC did a good job of adding fresh blood to the canvas. The teen set has Heather and Hunter, both recurring, the twenty somethings have Celia and the thirtysomething set has Jane who has just hovered in the background while we get to know her a little and the 40-50 set has Evelyn. It seems fairly obvious that we can expect Celia to be tied to the canvas in some blood-related way which would also have ramifications for Evelyn. I see no reason to dig up every lost Fronsian plot-point.

I'd want Jamal only if we could get a couple of appearances from Tom and/or Livia. Although I think he'd have to be de-sorased from his disastrous return a few years ago. Either he or Damon could make a nice addition to the 20-ish group.

• Members

So true. I've seen soooo much speculation on Twitter & other boards that on OLTL Michelle must be the daughter of Allison and/or Mitch and its probably because that's what people have come to expect on OLTL because of Carlivati- sooner or later you'll be shoehorned in as someone's long lost, never mentioned child. Sometimes a new character with few ties can work on the strength of the actor or the writing and there's just no need to limit their potential pairings by giving them an unnecessary bio link to a main family.

• Members

The thing is I wasn't implying these old characters return, I was going off on what someone else said about Eric's fiance looking like Missy Egan and then I told her and she and Eric agree, and they say it WOULD be awesome, not that its going to happen. Then I get my head bitten off.

Can you blame several fans of speculating several of these characters' motives and connections to the other characters? And also wanting other characters back or at least talked about

Archived