2013: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

It's not surprising that Altman's allegiance is to Jill. Altman left OLTL several months before it ended to become co-headwriter with Wolf. In fact, Wolf's headwriting team consisted of Conforti, Thomson and Altman (all of who Jill has now hired at Y&R). I wonder who's next on the chopping block. I firmly believe Jill will make over the scriptwriting team. It's the only department she has barely touched, other than making Boyd script editor and canning Zimmerman. I don't think Shelly would have joined just for a breakdown job unless the money was so fabulous. She will no doubt have story duties too and Josh needs it...his Y&R isn't offensive but it's lame/uninspired.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That us a very snobby way for someone to look at it. The shows are going on HULU. AMC has a lot of their old crew back as does OLTL. How about people work where they are happy. Hell Kevin Spacey is doing a series on NETFLIX which is on the internet.

• Administrator

Jeanne Ford:

- Script Writer (2000-2003; January 29, 2007 - Late May, 2007; August 16, 2012 - Present)

- Script Editor (2004 - May 15, 2005; July 22, 2005 - January 4, 2007; August 26, 2011 – August 16, 2012)

- Breakdown Writer (2001; 2003 - 2004; October 24, 2008 – August 25, 2011)

- Occasional Script Writer (2004)

- Continuity Coordinator (1999-2000)

- Writer's Assistant (1992 -1996)

Richard Culliton:

- Script Writer (2001; October 24, 2008 - Present)

Carolyn Culliton:

- Script Writer (February 22, 2010 - Present)

David Levinson (will soon be out of the credts):

- Script Writer (September 6, 2011 – Present)

David Cherrill (will soon be in the credits):

- Script Writer (December 26, 2008 - June 29, 2011)

Melissa Salmons:

- Script Writer (August 17, 2012 – Present)

Janet Iacubuzio:

- Script Writer (March 21, 2011 – February 15, 2012; August 17, 2012 - Present)

Of course people would love to work where it makes them happy but they also need financial stability. Shelly is good friends with Frank and Ron so she has stability there. She's also good friends with JFP, so now has stability there. Who knows what's going to happen to AMC/OLTL on Hulu. And as a breakdown writer on GH/Y&R, she probably makes more than the Head Writers at AMC/OLTL. Also, Netflix spend $100 million on House of Cards, so Spacey probably got paid very well.

• Members

The scriptwriters, while new to Days, are almost all seasoned vets trained in the 80s by Procter and Gamble. (I believe all but Levinson and Ford spent their formative years with P&G. Levinson spent several years at P&G with ATWT later on, after he started elsewhere.) The P&G house style, especially before the late 90s, was generally heavier on digging into the relationships between characters and the whys of them, interspersed with humorous moments. Combine that with Lorraine Broderick's inclination to go that way and it's gold. They also have the Writing 101 down of how to put a scene together (characters wanting different things, one getting their way more, twist at the end) that some writers seem to have forgotten.

I think a disproportionate amount of the references to history on Days come on Jeanne Ford days. This makes sense since she's been with the show the longest. She may be assigned those days or it may be something she slips in herself.

I agree a good script writing team can do wonders. The writing on Days is good at the top too though right now, with Tomlin, Whitesell, and Broderick. The stories look good on paper and the scripts take them to another level beyond that. The continuity across days where there are so many cliffhangers and cliffhangers carry over so well from one day to another is also something that scriptwriters couldn't manage themselves, so whoever is planning that is brilliant!

About the earlier comment by RavenWhitney that Gary Tomlin is still head writing because David Cherrill has been brought back -- probably, but he could just be still making the hire and fire decisions. Nelson Branco isn't taking credit away from Tomlin when he says Broderick is writing; I saw him tweet once that Tomlin's camp is the one that brought Broderick in in reply to someone bashing Tomlin.

Any confirmation as to the directors for the new AMC? Jill Larson had seemed to identify them as Angela Tessinari, Conal O'Brien, and Steven Williford, just going off of the first names she used, besides Chris Goutman.

• Administrator

I don't see what so special about P&G. Pretty much all of the writers have worked at non P&G shows.

I don't think so. I believe Corday fired Tomlin, and NBC was the one who brought him back. It's weird how there's always a power struggle at DAYS or Y&R. Sometimes Corday/The Bells are in charge, then it's Sony, then it's CBS/NBC - it's just a vicious cycle.

I wonder what would happen if JFP was fired in a year which could lead to Shelly being fired too. And if Frank/Ron are still at GH, would they welcome her back with open arms or would they be like, "You left us and now you want us to take you back? Hell no!!" LOL I guess they can be polite and say, "There's currently no room for you and you're replacement is doing a great job."

Archived