2013: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

at this point, if we cant have Alden back, can we have Trent Jones back as co-head? he worked with Phelps at GL and he briefly worked with Griffith at ATWT and spent many years as a writer on Y&R before serving as a co-head for a couple of years. I think he would be a great choice!!

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Trent Jones wouldn't be a bad shout (if he still works in daytime) as I think (and only think, because I can't remember properly) he was regarded as quite a loss to Y&R when he left (in 2004?).

Then again, as said before, outside of B&B, I seriously think that daytime executives believe the 'Bell-style' isn't relevant anymore. Foolhardy in my humble opinion.

• Members

Well, to be fair, they did attempt the Bell-style again with MAB, but she didn't surround herself with the right team so it didn't work. Had she had Alden/Smith/Jones as her Co-HW instead of people like Josh Griffith, Scott Hamner or Hogan Sheffer, it might've worked. However, I don't understand why nobody is looking at the success of B&B and trying to recreate that. They took what works for B&B and simply updated it. No major changes, it still loooks and feels like B&B and it's been a self-starter for the past few years. I also feel it looks more modern (without trying) than all these attempts AMC, Y&R and GH have made to try to be more modern.

• Members
It probably also had something to do with the fact that Maria was an incompetent, inexperienced, petty, egotistical socialite who had no business taking the job in the first place.

Josh Griffith isn't perfect as a writer but to compare him to Sheffer and Hamner is insulting.

The same B&B that has lost 60% of its veteran cast members in the past year (and Brad did little if anything to try to keep them), among numerous other issues?

B&B still has its classic background music but that is the ONLY area in which it is superior to Y&R.

• Members

I will say that I think, currently, B&B has gorgeous production values, much better design work than it had recently, great music and great direction--and largely strong acting given the material. And there's my issue (though, if I don't watch daily, I can find it campy fun, I admit--it's just not what I really look for in a soap.)

• Members

I never thought I'd see the day--Alden gone from B & B. It might be too much to hope for her to go back to Y&R but who knows. Stranger things have happened, although they're usually for the worse lol

• Administrator

I'm still way behind on my AMC/OLTL watching.....was there was director listed for the second July 1 episode of OLTL? I kept my eyes glued to the screen after the script writers were listed but no director name came up. I'm assuming it must be Habib Azar because he directed the previous 2 episodes and the 2 episodes after.

And going back further, who was the SW and Director for the May 1 episode of AMC?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

So now we have an explanation of the reason Lisa Seidman's name sometimes doesn't appear in the credits.

She is the breakdown editor and Brent Boyd is the script editor. When Griffith writes the outline himself, there's no outline editor. For instance, Griffith wrote Sept 3 and 4th episode outlines so Seidman didn't edit the outlines, therefore her name doesn't appear in the credits for those two episodes.

Here's the twitter exchange with Brent Boyd:

1. @actualBrentBoyd Writing credits were different today. Did you do the breakdown & Ms. Ferri Esser the script? Or did she do both? #YR

2. @MarkHsoap I normally share title card with Lisa our outline editor, but she didn't work on these. Only Josh, Janice & myself to blame.

Archived