2013: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I agree, SONY and CBS could between them decide not to renew the contracts of Phelps or/and Griffiths (which I don't think they would do after a year as it would surely be an admission they got it wrong after it took them so long to pull the trigger with Maria Bell), I imagine they would just go further out of the 'Bell Bubble'... Julie Hanan Curruthers, anyone? Lol*

*And before I discover her name has been 'rumoured' as a replacement, I plucked her name out of thin air as an example of how far away from the Bells' they seem to want to go.

• Members

Alden being out seemed in the works for a while, as there were rumblings about it at the end of last year/beginning of this year. Other than the usual budgetary excuse, I think Brad felt she was just expendable and wasn't completely necessary.

I think this may be it for Alden, she's not going to another soap, and I doubt the Sony, CBS, and the Bell's would push to get her back at Y&R.

• Members

I'm just so surprised that Brad fired Kay, given how successful B&B has been with her and the other Y&R castaways on the team. As well, she took Fi Core status, essentially taking one for the team. I suppose there's just not that much loyalty left in the business.

• Members
I don't see why the Bells wouldn't push for that. She was Bill's clear successor and they're obviously still friendly with her.

Is it completely out of the realm that CBS is taking her out of B&B and putting her back into Y&R?

• Members

I don't think you can separate the writing for AMC that way. Marlene and Betsy were the head writers, in charge of stories and daily outlines. The writers who had been with AMC before were scriptwriters (except for Lisa Connor who edited the scripts). Scriptwriters pen their scripts from the outlines provided by the head writers. Basically, they're turning plot points and character motivation into dialogue. What I find ironic is that the stories under M&B were, for the most part, very good, especially when you consider the huge task they had in relaunching this soap in such an incredibly short time. For them to have been let go so soon speaks more of backstage politics, power struggles among the various players, etc., than of their lack of storytelling abilities or daily plotting. Conner and Hayes, the new head writers, have a history with the show. Maybe they know how to handle the various "personalities" better than M&B, who had never worked with Agnes Nixon, Ginger Smith, etc. I'm not sure the whole story has come out yet as to the real reason this change was made, but I think M&B's contributions should be more appreciated than they have been.

Archived