What happened to Victoria Rowell on Y&R?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
What more can she say that hasn't been said already? At this point, she's gone beyond simply beating a dead horse. She needs to let it go and MOVE on with her life. CBS isn't losing any sleep over her. Her desperation does make her look in a less than flattering light.Most of them don't take to twitter and go off on rants about the show, former costars all while campaigning to go back to the toxic environment constantly YEARS after the fact. Most of them move on with their lives and don't act stuck in a bubble. Y&R isn't the end all and be all. I don't see why she cant just let it go and focus on something more positive with her life.

• Members

You and I don't need to fight about this foolishness.

But I will say, do you honestly believe extorting a return of Dru to YR, a show she said was horrible to her, is shining light on Daytime racism? Or should VR put YR behind her but, at the time she left, made certain the audience [especially the black audience members] was made aware of the horror she was subjected to behind the scenes? Let them know at that time that they should not buy products from YR advertisers. But now? Who do you think looks worse, VR or YR? She is not doing anyone any good right now, and I doubt many black actors would associate with her at this time. I'm happy that YR will never ask her back, something I never thought I would say. There's no way I could enjoy Dru now. No way!

Tim Stickney had no problem talking about Daytime racism, but it was not designed to get him back onto a show that treated him poorly.

• Members

The same has been said of every minority actor that discusses that particular topic.

But the focus on attacking people asking the questions & not the institutions total lack of answers makes sense given no one wants to see change which doesn't benefit them.

And CBS sudden hiring of an African American writer & three token actors (five counting Alex & Adriana) to avoid controversy is convenient given the timing.

• Members

DeeeDee, you're very good at avoiding others' questions and redirecting the conversation.

You say "what is the right route?" but refuse to acknowledge VR's rants, meltdowns, and boycotts. Instead you question everyone else as if we're siding with the devil.

Is there really any question that Rowell has caused herself problems? That she's marginalized herself? I know other minority soap actors have discussed the minority problem in daytime, but I don't know that there are "many." If you have names or a link, please let me know. I'm not trying to be difficult or smart-assed, because I'd really like to hear the truth from those who have been there.

Have they been ignored? I can't know that unless I can check it out. Have they been called crazy? Sorry, I've not seen the evidence there, either. I don't know of anyone being called crazy except for Victoria Rowell, either.

I'm also not sure I'm comfortable with the word "racism," either. It might be a case of ignorance. Maybe a good spokesperson/group needs to make a push for more minorities in daytime. Victoria Rowell, in my opinion, is far from that person -- especially since she CONSTANTLY campaigns to return to Y&R.

You are more than entitled to support Rowell and stick up for her in every instance. But please don't try to turn this around on others who think she's the Ultimate Hot Mess.

• Members

We're not fighting.

You asked me to clarify what we were discussing which I did.

So why are you misconstruing my response to argue a point I never made?

Because Tim knew that OLTL had no use for him or his character at the time yet that didn't stop him from jumping at the opportunity to return when OLTL offered him the chance.

• Members
we complain that there is no minority representation on daytime and when a significant number is added to the cast and a writer of color is brought in, its viewed as something less than positive. IA it was a good move in the right direction and better than not doing anything at all. Now Im not watching the show so I cant be a judge on its content, but hopefully they are being utilized

• Members

Two black characters, Tyler and Leslie, are currently being used in a big mystery story. Neil is on often. Lily has the potential storyline/triangle with Tyler. Mason is involved in a story with Victor. The show has added African American writers. But yes, they're so racist.

• Members

Because Y&R had plenty of time to do that yet it wasn't until there was significant pressure that the execs suddenly became "diversity" happy.

Everyone called that Leslie was going to be paired with Neil because they were Black the minute Angell was hired despite Kristoff being in between pairings with two other actresses (Julia Mitchell & Debbi Morgan) that were only paired with Neil because all the actors involved were Black.

For all the hype about Redaric & Lamon they're pretty much eunuchs.

And the airtime given to Alex & Adriana isn't surprising given black actors/characters won't get the same opportunities as the Latino actors (who have historically had more room in terms of pairings).

Archived